Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 4k monitors

Real Name
    wm c boyer

4k monitors

Has anyone upgraded to a 4k monitor for Photoshop still work only?
    How beneficial is it, can your video card handle the change, any opinions at all appreciated...

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: 4k monitors

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Has anyone upgraded to a 4k monitor for Photoshop still work only?
    How beneficial is it, can your video card handle the change, any opinions at all appreciated...
    Not me...my monitor still works but I only operate CS5 here in my desktop. Would be nice but not yet...I sure hope someone will respond to your post. I would be interested to know too.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I'm going to be watching how well they perform in reproducing colours accurately in a wide gamut setting, not just the resolution and I have not seen anything on that yet.

As a photographer / Photoshopper, colour accuracy and wide gamut are much more important than the ppi. I remember when the first Apple Retina screens came out; yes they had great resolution, but the pros rightfully lambasted Apple for the relatively mediocre 24-bit colours.

Good 30-bit colour (or better) that does 100% AdobeRGB well at a decent pricepoint for a 29" or larger display and I'll be in the market. If it doesn't, I'll stick with my current 27" 1920x1080 30-bit IPS, 95% AdobeRGB screen.

I was wondering the same as looking to add another screen to my setup. From what I have found so far the wide gamut genuine 10bit displays with 16bit lut ones are the same price and not moved much. Most seem £2.5K region in UK at least. There are a few for £400 ish but they are 6bit + (a)frc or 8bit + (a)frc with 12bitLUT at most. For gaming without Gsync they are probably a waste of time, for movies it depends on the content and I am not sure how available such content is in ultra high res. For photos they may be ok I don't know but colour critical stuff is probably not there yet unless you're willing to shell out on high end screens like latest eizo colouredge ones or stuff like asus pq321qe

For the prices of the decent ones I'd rather get 3 good ah-ips panels in 24" myself.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Wading thru all the hype is tough when you want top notch color accuracy, gamut, and viewing angle.