Thread: Well I Have Done it

Well I Have Done it

I have lasted nearly 12 months with my 450D and what an excellent starter DSLR it is. I would recommend it to anyone but I took the plunge tonight and ordered a 40D. My youngest daughter is hoping to do A level photography and will inherit the 450D. Although I should invest in glass I am certain that I will feel more like adding a decent lens to the 40D (just the way my head works I am afraid). I will await the courier eagerly on Monday but dont be surprised if I don't post for a while. I am very familiar with my old camera and will want to have a good play.

Steve

oh nearly forgot. Anyone have any recommendations for a decent CF Card I have only used Sony sticks, XDs and SDs to date

Real Name
    Rick

Re: Well I Have Done it

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Anyone have any recommendations for a decent CF Card I have only used Sony sticks, XDs and SDs to date
    I'm a computer person by trade, and I've used Sandisk quite a lot for jump drives and have always used them for my solid-state memory (CF and SD), even when I have to pay a few dollars more. I think they're the gold standard: you can trust what they say about transfer rates, and they're least likely to have funny compatibility issues. I've never had a problem.

Colin mentioned Sandisk in another thread about memory card speed, as well.

Cheers;
    Rick

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Although I've no, well, minimal, experience with CF cards, I would also recommend Sandisk as a manufacturer.

Congrats on "the new baby", I hope the stork isn't late on Monday.
    You know what expectant Dad's can be like, pacing up and down

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Steve,
    Congratulations.Enjoy the new camera.A 3rd vote for Sandisk CF cards here.

Real Name
    Steve

Brilliant; I don't use Sandisk because I take landscape and never go out in extreme cold. Also I have a lot of 1GB cards rather than one big one because they are cheaper and if one gets lost, you don't lose everything. I use Lexar 133X which is fast enough, if I use multiple shot drive I don't have to wait, but it isn't rated as high as Sandisk so doesn't go as fast in any temperature.

If the pixels colours are right and it's fast enough for what your doing, what's the difference.

Real Name
    John

Steve,

It's been years since I used a CF card but Sandisk, Lexar, and Ativa made good cards. They were rather big, about 4.5x3.5cm. I still have a few old ones and I have the slot on my printer, but since I retired my Pentax 3.2 Megapixel point and shoot I haven't used them for anything.

I have lasted nearly 12 months with my 450D and what an excellent starter DSLR it is. I would recommend it to anyone but I took the plunge tonight and ordered a 40D. My youngest daughter is hoping to do A level photography and will inherit the 450D. Although I should invest in glass I am certain that I will feel more like adding a decent lens to the 40D (just the way my head works I am afraid). I will await the courier eagerly on Monday but dont be surprised if I don't post for a while. I am very familiar with my old camera and will want to have a good play.

Steve

oh nearly forgot. Anyone have any recommendations for a decent CF Card I have only used Sony sticks, XDs and SDs to date

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

but I took the plunge tonight and ordered a 40D
    Welcome to the club. Sandisk Extreme III is my weapon of choice.

But what's most fascinating are the references to people not, or infrequently, using them. What am I missing here? I thought that's what everybody used. What else is used?

Same as Donald here. I've just checked the size and it's 4 GB which I find is sufficient even when using RAW.

The 40D is a good well built camera with the adjustment dial, screens and buttons all easy to use. I haven't found any problems with mine. And it will stand a few accidental knocks, which is very important to me!

Real Name

I use the Sandisk Ultra II mainly, I have 3 8GB and 1 x 4GB, which I rotate through, plus a 4GB Extreme III for high speed work (not that I have ever noticed a difference) - perhaps the camera is the limiting factor.

I have had some 16,000 images through them so far

Cheers,

Apologies for not replying sooner. I am sitting on a few design committees in the next week or so which means plenty of papers to understand and comment on. Thanks for your congratulations I am looking forward to the delivery. It looks like the consensus is SanDisk so I will go with that. Oh and while I think on I read few reviews but I could not figure out if the remote release for the 40D has the same jack plug as the 450D does anyone have any thoughts

Cheers

Steve

Real Name
    Jim

I don't think they have the same plugs.Does the one for the 450D have mini-RCA type plug?
    Last edited by Jim B.; 26th February 2010 at 09:06 PM.

Real Name
    Jim

Yep,this is what the 450D takes:http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Remote-S...7218583&sr=8-1
    This is what the 40D takes:http://www.amazon.com/Canon-RS-80N3-...218497&sr=8-11
    Different plugs.

Thanks Jim. Although I did baulk to the price and ordered a Chinese version for £9.99 (skin flint) I will see how that goes.

Cheers

Steve

Real Name
    Jim

Steve,
    I did the same.I bought a remote timer like the Canon TC-80N3(which I have owned&sold) from a company called Aputure.Functions exactly as the Canon remote,but a lot less money.I'm sure the remote you bought will work fine.

Real Name
    Hans

Hi Steve,
    I know it's off topic but I just took a look at your gallery.
    Very nice pictures in there! My compliments.
    Canon is in good hands ;-)

Thanks Hans

Well it arrived. Conceived on Friday at 17:00 and arrived Monday 10:15. A healthy 740g baby 40D. Clean as a whistle, screens are without a single scratch or scuff and no signs of wear. I still need to do some more in depth functional tests but the standard functions pass with flying colours. I need to do a white sheet check at f/22 to check for sensor fluff. I cannot believe how solid it feels against the 450D and that shutter noise...sweet. It makes the 450D shutter sound like a galvanised farm gate slamming shut in force 10 gale

So counting the Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM lens I purchased some time ago from the same place (boxed and genuinely like new) thats £515 for a 40D and a Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM. Now thats what I call a bargain.

Don't worry I will calm down....eventually

Steve

Real Name

Conceived on Friday at 17:00 and arrived Monday 10:15. A healthy 740g baby 40D.
    Fast worker!

Congrats on the new arrival Steve, how's Wirevixen doing?

She's fine Dave. But I suspect I may be asked to be requested to consider a financial vasectomy. Come to think of it a Jag and a holiday in Morocco was ot a fair swap i should have asked for a 7D

Real Name
    Steve

It is almost as if I'm getting one, you should find it a lot easier to use although I've only seen entry level cameras in a shop I was immediately put off by the weight of them and tiny buttons. Come to think of it I don't even know if mine works in any mode other than manual, never tried it.