Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A walk back in time

Real Name
    Dave

A walk back in time

Eubrontes track on BLM land in Utah. Walking next to these prints takes you to a different time. How I felt was amazing.
    A walk back in time

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: A walk back in time

Hi Risingwolf,

A decent shot; I like the composition, etc., the only 'problem' I see is a lack of scale, I couldn't tell if they are 3 inches or 3 feet across the toes. Perhaps include something of known size to give some scale to it, make it something relevant; like your shoe, not something that might be mistaken for litter.

But don't drop the camera while hopping about

Cheers,

Real Name
    Dave

I forgot to put my knife for scale in the picture but the tracks are 4 feet apart or one big stride. Next time a better scale. Here is one print with my knife
    A walk back in time
    Last edited by risingwolf; 25th February 2010 at 09:54 PM.

I think I mentioned before I just read 'Bad Land' by Jonathan Raban who spent time in Montana (I know this is Utah) chasing the history of homesteaders, and I think I can see what you intended with this shot, but it seems to need more scale and sense of place as Dave said. If you wanted to capture the essence of the place then some artifact that helped capture the context may have been more meaningful. Nice try though.

I think conveying a sense of scale would help a lot too, but in this case that might be difficult and still retain some, well I can't find the right term, some "artistic" merit to the photo. Perhaps a four or six panel "pano" shot with a medium tele to include the tracks at a size that would make them recognizable for what they are yet include the areas to the side and background, hoping that there are mountains there. Not ever having the good fortune to visit this place, I'm not sure if this is even possible. I know in my mind's eye how I would like it to look and am having trouble translating that into words.