Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Merrick

Real Name
    David

The Merrick

Hi All - I went for a walk the other day, climbing up the path to The Merrick. The Merrick is the highest peak in South West Scotland, but at just over 700 metres it is not exactly an Alp or a Rocky. However, it does have its challenges and I have to confess that I did not make it to the top, primarily because of snow and clouds. Here are some shots.

The Merrick

As you can see, I had a nice sunny day for my walk, with this rushing burn to keep me company.

The Merrick

The Merrick is now in view, the peak in the centre distance. The one to the left is called Ben Yellary.

The Merrick

I'm now nearly at the summit of Ben Yellary, looking back over the Glen Trool range. The fence is used to keep the wild haggis out of the lowland heather.

The Merrick

Just short of the Ben Yellary summit, the clouds rolled in and the snow started. I would like to say that I saw this shot in my mind's eye, the wall depicting the long weary struggle to get here and the longer more wearisome struggle of the Scots to throw off English domination in the increasing gloom and harshness of an economic winter. But, I can't. It's just a snap. And here's another.

The Merrick

Bleak or what? Conditions were by then rather treacherous so I retreated.

Camera: Canon 40D with 24-205 mm EF lens, plus monopod support. Post-processing via Canon's DPP, and the Gimp.

Comments and crits are welcome as usual.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: The Merrick

David

A very, very nice set from one of my favourite parts of the country. As you say, not the Alps or the Rockies, nor even the Himalyas or the Highlands of Scotland, but beautiful.

As for:
    ... the longer more wearisome struggle of the Scots to throw off English domination in the increasing gloom and harshness of an economic winter
    We're still working on it!

And regarding:
    The fence is used to keep the wild haggis out of the lowland heather.
    I read that there's a cull being planned for this year because of the huge increase in population threatening the eco-systems and environment!!

The thing that people might want to reflect upon when looking at #4 is - who carried all the rocks/stones up there to build that wall? Whoever they were, I bet they didn't get paid very much by the, what would have been, very wealthy landowner.

Real Name
    Steve

The second from last is absolutely fantastic. Cold though and my angina would get better of me or so the doc says. I only walk down hills now

Real Name
    Wendy

I went for a walk the other day, climbing up the path to The Merrick.

The Merrick is now in view, the peak in the centre distance. The one to the left is called Ben Yellary.
    That looks like quite a walk! All the photos are beautiful, I especially like 2,3 and 4. Can't really pick a favourite.

I'm now nearly at the summit of Ben Yellary, looking back over the Glen Trool range. The fence is used to keep the wild haggis out of the lowland heather.
    Seriously, wild haggis? you mean like this?

The Merrick

It's just a snap.
    Maybe literally because you didn't plan it, but what would you have done differently?

Very nice, you Scots really are a hearty bunch if that is what you call going for a walk.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Seriously, wild haggis? you mean like this?
    That's amazing. I thought Scotland was the only place where you could still find wild haggis. What pp did you do on this image!?

This looks like the North American haggis. The Scots haggis has one leg at the front and two at the rear. One rear leg is longer than the other, so that the haggis can run across steep hillsides and remain horizontal.

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    That's amazing. I thought Scotland was the only place where you could still find wild haggis. What pp did you do on this image!?

This looks like the North American haggis. The Scots haggis has one leg at the front and two at the rear. One rear leg is longer than the other, so that the haggis can run across steep hillsides and remain horizontal.
    Nope that is a Scot haggis, we have no such thing here in North America. No PP done. It must be a throwback or something. Maybe that cull is a good idea to weed out the mutants.

Real Name
    Steve

I like the scotch but not too keen on wild haggis.

2 and 3 are my favorites. Very nice.

Real Name
    David

Thanks to everyone for your encouraging comments. I have to say, however, that the depiction by Wendy of what she supposes to be a wild haggis is a gross calumny on the noble species Haggis Alba Nowhereelsium, to give it its full Latin name. The wild haggis is a shy, retiring creature, and hides at the first sign of strangers. Thus, it is not often seen. It certainly does not wear a tartan bonnet, nor does it have a trumpet-like schnoozle. When I'm next up The Merrick I shall try to photograph one of these beautiful elusive creatures!

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your encouraging comments. I have to say, however, that the depiction by Wendy of what she supposes to be a wild haggis is a gross calumny on the noble species Haggis Alba Nowhereelsium, to give it its full Latin name. The wild haggis is a shy, retiring creature, and hides at the first sign of strangers. Thus, it is not often seen. It certainly does not wear a tartan bonnet, nor does it have a trumpet-like schnoozle. When I'm next up The Merrick I shall try to photograph one of these beautiful elusive creatures!

Cheers

David
    David: I cannot take credit for the depiction of the wild haggis. After some quick but extensive research, I found, as you said that these are elusive creatures, and as such there are no known photos. All I could find was the artist's rendition above.

You will be very famous indeed, if you manage to capture one one on camera. I would advise film though, I am not sure a digital shot would be considered legally acceptable in a case like this.