Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I need a small tip IYP - Canon 50mm f/1.8 II

Real Name
    António Correia

I need a small tip IYP - Canon 50mm f/1.8 II

I want to buy a EF Canon 50mm f/1,8 II and I own the Canon 20D and the Canon 5D.

Will I have any focusing problems or others using these cameras and this lens ?
    I mean, in terns of focusing capacities. I can remember there was some kind of restrictions about certain lenses which could not operate properly on more advanced cameras.

I think that this lens works fine in both my camera bodies, does't it ?

I am planning to get it - in spite of it's slow focusing speed - to shoot my coming grand-son with shallow DOF and to make some more intimist portraits.
    Oh well, just another toy that's what it is ...

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: I need a small tip IYP

It should be fine Antonio.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    It should be fine Antonio.
    I also thought so but just in case I decided to ask.
    Thank you Colin

Real Name
    Steve

I've got one and it is fine with my 10D, just be careful to line up the red dots to ensure it is fitted to the camera correctly. Cheers.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I've got one and it is fine with my 10D, just be careful to line up the red dots to ensure it is fitted to the camera correctly. Cheers.
    Thank you Arith. Nice of you ...

Real Name
    Steve

I'll go into a bit more detail. I want picture quality to be fantastic, but for a cropped camera like mine and yours, That means no reason to spend a thousand on a L type unless you are a journalist or plan to be very rough with the lens ( constant changing quick changes that could cause damage such as with journalism}. The lens itself is inset deep into its frame and difficult to clean. There isn't any dof markers so that is guesswork and very annoying for me since focus is very important more important than you can shake a stick at, down to millimetres in my case, so it is difficult. But this is with everything about quality that means TO BE CAREFUL every bit as good as an L Type ON A CROPPED CAMERA or CMOS and I hope I got that right. It is exceptional and I just don't want to hear it is stuck on your camera because you didn't line up the dots. Cheers, be careful out there.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I'll go into a bit more detail. I want picture quality to be fantastic, but for a cropped camera like mine and yours, That means no reason to spend a thousand on a L type unless you are a journalist or plan to be very rough with the lens ( constant changing quick changes that could cause damage such as with journalism}. The lens itself is inset deep into its frame and difficult to clean. There isn't any dof markers so that is guesswork and very annoying for me since focus is very important more important than you can shake a stick at, down to millimetres in my case, so it is difficult. But this is with everything about quality that means TO BE CAREFUL every bit as good as an L Type ON A CROPPED CAMERA or CMOS and I hope I got that right. It is exceptional and I just don't want to hear it is stuck on your camera because you didn't line up the dots. Cheers, be careful out there.
    Thank you again Arith
    But I am used to those dots
    I have shot with old models Pentax and Nikon. In fact, I am still keeping the Nikon Nikomat EL bought in Hong-Kong back in 1974 ! and a couple of primes.

Thank you again. Very thoughtful of you ...

Real Name
    Richard

Antonio...

Any EOS EF lens will fit any EOS camera. The only problems occur when you try to fit an EFS lens on a non-EFS camera such as the 1D models as well as the 5D and 5DII full frame models. Additionally, the earlier Canon 1.6x cameras such as the D30, D60 and 10D cannot fit EFS lenses.

Antonio

It's a brilliant little lens. I have the 50D and a 5D Mk1, and it works superbly on both. I use mine a lot when I go down the beach shooting 'flotsam' as it has incredible sharpness and great DOF. If you want to see some shots have a look at the flotsam shots on my site here http://www.carregwenimages.com/section331610.html The build quality is quite poor, in terms of the casing etc, but the glass is faultless for such a low price. People shots are also great using that shallow DOF.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Antonio... Any EOS EF lens will fit any EOS camera. The only problems occur when you try to fit an EFS lens on a non-EFS camera such as the 1D models as well as the 5D and 5DII full frame models. Additionally, the earlier Canon 1.6x cameras such as the D30, D60 and 10D cannot fit EFS lenses.
    RPCrowe, thank you so much for your precious information.
    In fact, I was suspecting that the answer was this one but I wanted to be sure before buying the lens.
    I have seen in a Portuguese magazine these days a photo of the new Mark IV with what looked to me as one of these lens (?!)
    It is strange to mount in such a camera this lens but may be Canon was thinking that one has to spare money on the lens to get the camera itself...

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Antonio It's a brilliant little lens. I have the 50D and a 5D Mk1, and it works superbly on both. I use mine a lot when I go down the beach shooting 'flotsam' as it has incredible sharpness and great DOF. If you want to see some shots have a look at the flotsam shots on my site here http://www.carregwenimages.com/section331610.html The build quality is quite poor, in terms of the casing etc, but the glass is faultless for such a low price. People shots are also great using that shallow DOF.
    Hello Rob !
    Oh then you have both of these toys: the 5D and the 5D II. Nice.
    Then I would like you make me a favour:
    Shoot the same scene using the same lens and the same settings with one camera and then with the other one.
    I would like to see the differences if any. Can I say if any ? Probably I can't because there must be some kind of difference...
    If you care to make this experiment take two landscapes and two close ups, kind of details.

I have been looking at your images and I did like them !

Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    Hello Rob !
    Oh then you have both of these toys: the 5D and the 5D II. Nice.
    Then I would like you make me a favour:
    Shoot the same scene using the same lens and the same settings with one camera and then with the other one.
    I would like to see the differences if any. Can I say if any ? Probably I can't because there must be some kind of difference...
    If you care to make this experiment take two landscapes and two close ups, kind of details.

I have been looking at your images and I did like them !

Thank you !
    OK, I'll give it a try. But as one camera is full-frame and the other is half-frame I'll have to stand in different positions to get the same framing. I'll try it though. Glad you like my shots.

Regards

Rob

Real Name
    António Correia

OK, I'll give it a try. But as one camera is full-frame and the other is ASP-C I'll have to stand in different positions to get the same framing. I'll try it though. Glad you like my shots. Regards Rob
    But Rob... wait please...
    I must be missing something here.
    I am sure that the Canon 5D is full frame. I own one and so you do.

... I have the 50D and a 5D Mk1 ...
    I was just meaning to compare the same image in both cameras.
    From the very same place, the very same lens, the very same settings. Camera on a tripod, yes.

Did I made myself clear now ?
    I think I have not been very explicit before have I ? Portuguese to English !
    However I think in English. But sometimes I miss the target and make this misinterpretations. Sorry !