Thread: Image Size and Weight

Real Name
    Wendy

Image Size and Weight

Hello Everyone: I am wondering what contributes to the filesize of a photo besides the dimensions. In order to get the photo below to an acceptable size for uploading to my album I had to resize it to way below the max dimensions.

700 x 514 gave me a filesize of 244.32 Kb

I tried 680 x 499 and changed the pixels per inch from 240 to 180 and still ended up with a filesize of 232.89 Kb

The one below is now quite small 460 x 338 but comes in at 133.33 kb.

Does anyone know what could possibly be making the size of this file so large compared to others that I have uploaded?

Image Size and Weight

Wendy

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Image Size and Weight

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Does anyone know what could possibly be making the size of this file so large compared to others that I have uploaded?
    Hi Wendy,

The pixels per inch figure (240ppi or 180ppi) is irrelevant to the image filesize, it's just a number that is used to give a physical size from the pixel dimensions when printing. For posting images, only the dimensions in pixels count (e.g. 700 x 514).

Almost certainly what is causing your problem is that Elements/LR has decided to set the jpg quality to 12 (max.). I use 9 tops, which is more than adequate. I do find it goes back to max by itself occasionally though

Other things that will affect filesize is lots of fine detail, or noise if above a certain amplitude.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Hans

Re: Image Size and Weight

The size of the image also increases if you put a colourprofile to it.
    Maybe one time you save with attached colourprofile and the other time you did not add a profile to it?