Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What has gone wrong with the focus?

Real Name
    Steve

What has gone wrong with the focus?

Took these today and although they are handheld HDR the CRW files show the same problem. I don't understand why they appear out of focus. A GG2 filter is used at f2.8 1/40 1/160 1/640. 28mm lens.

cheers

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: What has gone wrong with the focus?

Hi Arith,

Sorry, but I'm not understanding the problem. At F2.8 only a part of the image can be expected to be in focus - and from what I can see, the centre portion of the images appear to have focused correctly (although they could probably do with some output sharpening). If the same OOF occurs when everything is in the same plane then I'd have to conclude either a faulty lens or more likely an issue caused by your filter (try taking it off and seeing if the qualty improves).

Real Name
    Steve

I can't remember it being that bad before; it is terrible. But I took a test photo just before going out and that is sharp with the filter on ect. This lens is quite good but it was freezing and I wanted a pic of the barn but it is impossible to use a tripod since householders nearby complain. cheers Colin.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    it is impossible to use a tripod since householders nearby complain
    If it's not illegal then one might be tempted to complain to them about their complaining!

Real Name
    Steve

Yes but they live there and a rather big somebody has appeared to have tricked them by buying some land and building a rather large building right over the top of them. So they are a bit touchy about people that look like surveyors.

You wouldn't believe it unless you saw it; they thought they was building a bungalow which was what was previously there but pulled down because it was made of asbestos.

So I thought I would set the camera up at home and try a quick hand held shot but for some reason because of shade it is high ev 8.6 in this case and with bracketing a GND and steady hand thought I would give it a go.

The sun wasn't helpful and I'm not too happy with sharpness of a place which is one of the few left until now untouched in my village.

Good news is an old pub they was going to turn into flats is now being sold as a potential pub.

Real Name
    Steve

http://www.photodo.com/product_36_p4.html

I only need to look up to 13.6mm and it doesn't look too different at f2.8 to f8. I only normally use f8-f11 but in this case light was low and I wanted a faster speed.

However as usual you are right Colin, I took a photo of my computer screen with a grid of fine dots displayed and there was a considerable difference between f2.8 and f3.2. Cheers

Real Name

http://www.photodo.com/product_36_p4.html

I only need to look up to 13.6mm and it doesn't look too different at f2.8 to f8. I only normally use f8-f11 but in this case light was low and I wanted a faster speed.

However as usual you are right Colin, I took a photo of my computer screen with a grid of fine dots displayed and there was a considerable difference between f2.8 and f3.2. Cheers
    Hi Arith,

There wouldn't be much differenc in Depth of field between F2.8 & F3.2 (unless you meant F32?) - but there might well be a difference in lens performance.

If I understood correctly, some of the shots were HDR, either merged on pc or by your camera. Those OOF areas looks more like a motion blur to me. Maybe when you process HDR you should check if your software is set to correct horizontal and vertical shifts and/or align images based on subjects in the photo.

I don't know very much about HDR, but I think Pawel may have nailed it.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tedor View Post
    I don't know very much about HDR, but I think Pawel may have nailed it.
    Yes it looks like a bit of that going on; I just expected it a bit sharper since the hyperfocal distance at f8 is 5 metres approximately and therefore less than 20 metres at f2.8. This is a single processed image from one of the RAW files. cheers

May I know why the roof looks so weird?

Is it the result of deliberate oversharpening, like this photo?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Blazing fire; 21st February 2010 at 01:04 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing fire View Post
    May I know why the roof looks so weird?

Is it the result of deliberate oversharpening, like this photo?
    It is a bit oversharpened; I put 100% fine and edge sharpening just to try to show the blur. I don't have photoshop and the only thing I've got to process RAW is Helicon Filter, I haven't managed to do a thing with UFRaw and ideally I just wanted an unprocessed RAW in this case but that is impossible because RAW files won't upload.

The blur could be just because it is cold well -1 C but lots in here regularly work in much lower temperatures. The CF card is only rated from 0-40 C, the lens would be smaller so would everything.

I don't know, it was a test only but I hoped for a nice pic. There are problems with using a tripod here and if I could have made it work it would work elsewhere but when I have used a tripod a shift of greater than 2 pixels I thought mean't blurred with my software; picturenaught.

They are all HDR except the close up and one had only 7 pixel shift while another had greater than 20.
    Last edited by arith; 21st February 2010 at 01:26 PM.

The blur could be just because it is cold well -1 C but lots in here regularly work in much lower temperatures. The CF card is only rated from 0-40 C, the lens would be smaller so would everything.
    I wouldn't think that would have a lot to do with it. I routinely shoot at -34°C and have never had that affect image quality or CF card performance.
    Last edited by Terry Tedor; 22nd February 2010 at 07:43 AM.

Real Name

Hi Arith,

Did you shoot these RAW?

Real Name
    Steve

I always shoot in RAW, cheers.

Real Name

I always shoot in RAW, cheers.
    If you'd like to send me one of the shots in your bracket where the highlights are correctly exposed, I'll check the focus and see what I can do with the exposure (I'm skeptical that one would need HDR for this scene).

Real Name
    Steve

cheers Colin.

Real Name

cheers Colin.
    Hi Arith,

Sorry - almost forgot to get back to you about this. Yes - it's definately a depth-of-field issue - not related to the HDR process. Couldn't tell if it was processable without the HDR process though as the sample you sent had totally blown highlights in the sky (hence the big spike at the end of the histogram).

Real Name
    Steve

Sorry about that; I sent you the wrong one, I must have been looking at something else. Cheers anyway I put a link in to hopefully the right one this time but it doesn't matter if you haven't got time and I apologise.

Real Name

Hi Arith,

No worries. Here's Photoshop 30-Second Makeover (TM!) of the image. As I suspected, it didn't need any HDR treatment - just a touch of fill light - wee bit of vibrance/saturation / and some capture sharpening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast