Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tulips Again!

Real Name
    Peter

Tulips Again!

Got the film back from Genie Imaging yesterday, very impressed with their speed, quality and price. This was shot with my Fuji GX680II with GX100mm at F11 and 15 secs using Fujicolor Pro 160S, scanned by Genie from the negative. Only processing is slight sharpening after resizing. Any comments welcome

Tulips Again!

Re: Tulips Again!

The DOF is not quite what I would expect for shooting at f/11. Why is that?

For some reason or another, I find the yellowish-green color in the petals very off-putting. I think it's because it conflicts with the green of the stems & leaves, and the red in the petals. The left edges of some of the petals appear to be too hot. A little more room at the top would be nice, but the real show stopper for me is the cutoff OOF flower at the front, left of center.

Real Name
    Troy

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tedor View Post
    The DOF is not quite what I would expect for shooting at f/11. Why is that?
    Isn't this because images shot with medium-format film have a much narrower depth of field than images shot with much smaller aps-c digital sensors? the larger film needs a longer focal length which equates to a wider entrance pupil to achieve the same aperture value.

however, the camera seems to have been so close to the flowers that most apertures would have showed some focal blurring anyway

You could brush those lighter shades in th upper left corner, they're just unnecessary.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pwnage101 View Post
    Isn't this because images shot with medium-format film have a much narrower depth of field than images shot with much smaller aps-c digital sensors? the larger film needs a longer focal length which equates to a wider entrance pupil to achieve the same aperture value.

however, the camera seems to have been so close to the flowers that most apertures would have showed some focal blurring anyway
    This from DOF Master for the negative size
    Subject distance 15 in

Depth of field
    Near limit 14.9 in
    Far limit 15.1 in
    Total 0.21 in

In front of subject 0.1 in (50%)
    Behind subject 0.11 in (50%)

Hyperfocal distance 1310.9 in
    Circle of confusion 0.06 mm

Probably should have used a much smaller aperture but I'm still experimenting with this camera. I have some fresh tulips this week so will try some shots of them.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peterb533 View Post
    Probably should have used a much smaller aperture but I'm still experimenting with this camera. I have some fresh tulips this week so will try some shots of them.

Peter
    Thanks for the info. I never imagined the DOF would be that shallow that aperture. That's a 6x8, right?

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks for the info. I never imagined the DOF would be that shallow that aperture. That's a 6x8, right?
    That's right, approx 6cm by 8cm. I'm still experimenting with the different lenses, I have 65mm, 100mm, 150mm, 210mm and 300mm, all F5.6 to F64 except 100mm which is F4 to F45, so trying to work out what is best for what. The printed version of this does look much better but is quite large.

Peter

I'll bet she'll do some fantastic landscapes.

Real Name
    Peter

I'll bet she'll do some fantastic landscapes.
    No doubt about it, just trying to build up the muscles to transport it, the body alone ways some 4kg and each lens has its own very sturdy box and then there's the tripod and heavy duty head.

No doubt about it, just trying to build up the muscles to transport it, the body alone ways some 4kg and each lens has its own very sturdy box and then there's the tripod and heavy duty head.
    Yikies! She must be a brute.

Real Name
    Peter

Certainly is a large lady but I love her just the same Here she is in all her glory with 65mm lens attached and my wife's Canon G9 for size comparison.

Tulips Again!

Wow! Glad you included the G9, I never would have imagined it being THAT big. Pardon my ignorance here, but does she take 120/220 rolls?

Real Name
    Peter

Wow! Glad you included the G9, I never would have imagined it being THAT big. Pardon my ignorance here, but does she take 120/220 rolls?
    Yes, depending on what back you attach takes 120, 220 or Fuji Instant (like Polaroid). To switch from landscape to portrait you just turn the back. It also has full front element tilt, rise/fall and shift movements. Take some getting used to but I'm getting there

Yes, depending on what back you attach takes 120, 220 or Fuji Instant (like Polaroid). To switch from landscape to portrait you just turn the back. It also has full front element tilt, rise/fall and shift movements. Take some getting used to but I'm getting there
    Sounds like lots of fun. I noticed the slot on the back for the light slide, so I figured she had interchangable backs. May I dare to ask, did you buy her used and for how much?

Real Name
    Peter

Sounds like lots of fun. I noticed the slot on the back for the light slide, so I figured she had interchangable backs. May I dare to ask, did you buy her used and for how much?
    Secondhand, I've only recently started shooting film, I also have a Fuji GA645zi (aa automatic rangefinder) and Zero Image pinhole, as a respite from the highly technical world of digital. Paid about £350 including lens and 120 back.

Very reasonable. Sounds like you got a steal of a deal! I look forward to seeing more from her.