Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Different Look

Different Look

Just to find out it is only me... or you also see this thing happening in the Picture

Have a Look on the Picture..
    Put your mouse on the picture, and slowly scroll the picture up and down.
    To me it appears that we are actually moving up or down along the picture or it is illusion..? ?
    What you all think

Different Look
    Last edited by Ashwin; 12th February 2010 at 12:53 PM.

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Different Look

Must be your eyes Ashwin or you should be taking more water with your whisky But something bothered me when I first looked at the picture, then I saw what it was. Nice shot of a model building

Quote Originally Posted by peterb533 View Post
    Must be your eyes Ashwin or you should be taking more water with your whisky But something bothered me when I first looked at the picture, then I saw what it was. Nice shot of a model building
    Hi Peter,

Thank you for your opinion. Except TEA - COFFEE & SOFT DRINK... Nobody in our whole family takes Hard drink.

What do you think this is a ILLUSSION...?

I see what you mean. I think that it's because by keeping your head still and moving the picture up and down you are viewing it from different directions, which does feel a bit like moving up and down yourself. You can get a similar effect by holding a book at arm's length and moving it up and down while looking at the middle of it. It is probably particularly noticable with this photograph, even when scrolling through a small distance, because of the strong lines.

I'm not really sure if it is a natural assumption that a building cannot move or if it is due to all those horizontal lines; but I see what you mean.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    Put your mouse on the picture, and slowly scroll the picture up and down.
    To me it appears that we are actually moving up or down along the picture or it is illusion..? ?
    Can you explain more what you're doing/seeing?

If I put the pointer of my mouse at the center of the photo, then use the scroll wheel or up/down arrow keys to scroll the photo up and down under it, I don't see anything unusual.

Is what you're seeing an apparent change of viewpoint, like in 3D imaging, where you can move the observer's viewpoint?

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Hmmmmm. I did what you said and didn't feel like I was going up and down but I did see something interesting when I did that, the central portion of the building appeared to flex as if it were slightly elastic. This observation was made by rapidly scrolling up and down and before martini time.

The image is interesting in its own right but I think I would like to see a little more at the top and especially at the bottom...it feels cut off.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    Is what you're seeing an apparent change of viewpoint, like in 3D imaging, where you can move the observer's viewpoint?
    Cheers,
    Rick
    You are probably right

Quote Originally Posted by CNelson View Post
    Hmmmmm. I did what you said and didn't feel like I was going up and down but I did see something interesting when I did that, the central portion of the building appeared to flex as if it were slightly elastic. This observation was made by rapidly scrolling up and down and before martini time.

The image is interesting in its own right but I think I would like to see a little more at the top and especially at the bottom...it feels cut off.

Chuck
    This is Normal Model Photograph. For compositional purpose image has been cropped some portion from top and some portion from bottom. But there is no special in it. Half of the top and half of the ground bottom is still visible.

I have hard copy of the Image, and it looks normal. But on my computor monitor when I was scrolling the image up/down, I am feeling some unusual appearance, that's why put it here to find out whether it is me only or you also see some thing happening.

If Image is moved up/down by side bar than Image looks normal, it is only when you scroll up/down with mouse we feel some unusual happening

I am told by my friend who is graphic artist, that this is due to strong horizontal lines, this is an illusion
    Last edited by Ashwin; 15th February 2010 at 04:24 AM.

HERE (Mini Competition #74 POST # 10 - Silent Night ) -is one more example, with strong horizontal lines, where by scrolling up and down by mouse, this type of illusion is experianced
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 15th February 2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: add direct URL to post #10