Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lee Filters: Confused shopper requires advice!!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Lee Filters: Confused shopper requires advice!!

Right. Will try to keep this straightforward.

Firstly, now that I've decided to try out Raw Therapee instead of purchasing DxO (thanks for the advice), I've saved nearly 200 British pounds (this is logical thinking, isn't it?). So I can spend it on other things.

Based on what I read elsewhere, I think I could mount GNDs onto the Tokina 11-16 and not have a major vignetting problem. But to do so would want to get the Lee Wide Angle Adaptor Ring. First question - Anyone else using it and does it work for you?

But, then we start looking at the filters. The following are quotes from the website of my usual supplier (who usually copies and pastes descriptions from the manufacturer's site). And these confuse me (which is not hard to do).

"The soft edge is recommended for wide angle lenses and the hard edge is recommended for normal and longer lenses."

"... hard filters are used in particular when using 35mm cameras, digital SLR including full frame and medium format cameras ... and the soft filters are used in particular with large format cameras."

Now, whilst perhaps not totally contradictory, these are, I hope you'll agree, confusing. I thought I understood hard and soft in the context of GNDs, i.e. straight line or not. Seems Lee has a different meaning ... or do they!?

I've got a Cokin P system at the moment and am persuaded to aspire to a Lee system (mainly because I want to use GNDs on the Tokina).

So, on my Canon 40D with my Tokina 11-16 + the 17-85 and 70-200 - What do I go for? Hard or Soft GNDs?
    Last edited by Donald; 12th February 2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Just to to wonder why I put this in this forum. Should be in DSLRs. Sorry!

Re: Lee Filters: Confused shopper requires advice!!

Hi,
    http://www.cokin.com/ico3-p1-6.html.This link will explain You what means(with exemples) L,S,M,F filters .For 12- 24 mm I use Type Z Cokin holder with 77 mm Z ring and for 16-85 mm Cokin wide holder type P with 67 mm type P ring.
    Regards
    Radu Dinu
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 12th February 2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: fixed link

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Will try to keep this straightforward.
    Me to

I've saved nearly 200 British pounds (this is logical thinking, isn't it?). So I can spend it on other things.
    Technically, but only on SWMBO if she knows about it!

Based on what I read elsewhere, I think I could mount GNDs onto the Tokina 11-16 and not have a major vignetting problem. But to do so would want to get the Lee Wide Angle Adaptor Ring. First question - Anyone else using it and does it work for you?
    Yes - me, yes.

So, on my Canon 40D with my Tokina 11-16 + the 17-85 and 70-200 - What do I go for? Hard or Soft GNDs?
    Hard edge.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I like a man who doesn't waste words and gets straight to the point.

But, to clarify ... just before I spend all the money that SWMBO thinks is not available for spending...!

I don't do much in the way of seascapes etc; i.e. things with straight horizons. My stuff tends to have buildings, trees, hills or walls in the way. But, and I think this is what aforementioned website was saying, still go for hard edge? Yes? Just wanting to check before I spend.

Real Name

I like a man who doesn't waste words and gets straight to the point.

But, to clarify ... just before I spend all the money that SWMBO thinks is not available for spending...!

I don't do much in the way of seascapes etc; i.e. things with straight horizons. My stuff tends to have buildings, trees, hills or walls in the way. But, and I think this is what aforementioned website was saying, still go for hard edge? Yes? Just wanting to check before I spend.
    It's probably a "no win" situation to a degree - on one hand the soft-edge is better when there is tall buildings etc - but - on the other hand - you'll probably find that the light at the top -v- bottom needs different levels of adjustment So a soft edge might not give enough attenuation over the area and a hard edge is likely to "burn the tops of the trees / buildings" etc, although having said that, 3 stops (which is pretty typical) isn't a lot (try using your DoF preview button to see what a 3-stop change looks like - you might be surprised.

Perhaps just grab one of each in a 3 stop and see how you go?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Perhaps just grab one of each in a 3 stop and see how you go?
    At their prices?? 'fraid I've got to get it right first time!

Thanks for this guidance, Colin. Very helpful. And as you say, 3-stop is not a lot. I've had the 3 + the 2 Cokin P mounted on some occassions.

Anuway, am going to try and find a shop somewhere in Edinburgh that stocks them and who'll let me try each.

Real Name

At their prices?? 'fraid I've got to get it right first time!
    Take a look at Singh-Ray prices - then you'll "appreciate" Lee prices a LOT more

Donald, try looking around for local used or vintage camera shows/expos in your area. You can easily find effects filters for a fraction of the cost new, this is how I started. But filters are expensive in general so invest wisely.

I don't bother with brackets or filter mounts a lot of times when I use ND or color/effects gradient filters, I hand hold them and "feather" the filter (hard and soft edge) over the lens while the camera is sturdily mounted on a tripod.

Like so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQxdC...eature=related