Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: First Meet of the Season

First Meet of the Season

My sports season is officially on the way again. Enjoy.
    First Meet of the Season
    First Meet of the Season
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 8th February 2010 at 08:09 AM.

Real Name
    Pete

Re: First Meet of the Season

Cool, I'll stay tuned

Real Name
    David

Hi Amberglass - Interesting shots. I would be very tempted to crop both images right down to the performers themselves. For example, in the second shot a rough calculation shows more than 40% of the image is wall and background. I'm not sure that adds anything to the real subject.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Cheers

David

I will often times make two or three different crop compositions. The second image (original image above) is crop to give a "spectator's point of view" (how the audience sees the performance) and would work if this image is going to be submitted to media which gives a sense of place/preview (say an index image/excerpt/intro to the article). I'm a documentary photographer, my job and style captures scenes and moments without disturbing it by the presence of a camera (aka spectator's view).

But the cool thing about working with images, you can always revisit and revise them to be more aesthetically and compositionally pleasing. Here's the second revision (which would be placed on the same page as the article written about the event) that I did but didn't post here.
    First Meet of the Season

There is an aspect of composition in photography known as "looking room"; giving you the sense of angle of where the performers (or subject) is looking towards, giving dynamics to the image. If cropped too tightly, it would look like the gymnasts are staring off into space.
    Last edited by Amberglass; 8th February 2010 at 03:57 PM.