Here is a side-by-side comparison chart:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...os50d&show=all

Real Name
    Calvin

Re: canon 50d/7d

Thanks much pwnage101
    Calvin

Hi guys, pretty new to all this and looking to buy a decent camera soon, have been reading up as much as i can lately, this website is very useful, the new Canon 550D looks very good.
    Compared to the 7D and 50D on dpreview there doesn't look like there's much between them on paper bar the 7d being environmentally sealed. Would i have any regrets buying the 550D over either to 50d or 7d as a entry camera?
    is there anything else i should be looking out for?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...s550d&show=all

Real Name
    Steve

Yes a 550D is a basic camera and 7D is brilliant.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzaldo View Post
    Hi guys, pretty new to all this and looking to buy a decent camera soon, have been reading up as much as i can lately, this website is very useful, the new Canon 550D looks very good.
    Compared to the 7D and 50D on dpreview there doesn't look like there's much between them on paper bar the 7d being environmentally sealed. Would i have any regrets buying the 550D over either to 50d or 7d as a entry camera?
    is there anything else i should be looking out for?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...s550d&show=all
    There are a couple of differences between the Canon XXXD range and their XXD range that are worth giving some considerable "soul searching" ...

- First up, ergonomics; the XXXD range doesn't have a QCD (Quick Control Dial) - and that means that every adjustment to shutterspeed, ISO, Exposure Compensation - every picture reviewed is via buttom pushes - and personally I've found that to be a major PITA (Pain In The ...). From personal experiance I bought a brand new 350D, and shortly afterwards had a play with a 20D at which point I promptly sold my near new 350D at a loss and bought a new 20D. I've never looked back, and I'd do the same again in a heartbeat.

- I've read that there's also a "night and day" internal difference in build quality.

So "would you have any regrets buying a 550D over (say) a 50D?" - if you ever subsequently used a 50D then in all probability, yes.

Hope this helps

Depends on your budget and your shooting needs. But the most useful feature to have are "two separate command dials" to control shutter speeds and aperture when going manual mode. This is one of the reason I recommend beginners to go ahead and purchase the midrange bodies (again if within your budget) over the entry level ones. In the consumer entry level bodies, you will need to surf the menus to access the controls separately. Often times the mid range bodies will also be the last camera many beginners and avid advanced amateurs will ever need until it dies. During that time you can take your time investing in better quality lenses.

The new 7D offers Canon's first attempt of using the pop up flash as a "commander" trigger for remote off camera flash, in competition with the Nikon's creative lighting system. The 50D does not offer this nor video if that's more important to you. But remember, no dslr will perform as well in video as camcorders.

cheers guys, very useful, might hold off and save a bit more so

Real Name
    Richard

I shoot with both a 30D and a 40D and I am considering the upgrade of my 30D. The 50D is just not enough of an upgrade for me to consider the switch.

However, I am seriously considering switching to the 7D. The two features of this camera which are selling points to me are the enhanced auto-focus and the wireless flash capability.

However, for my way of shooting, I'd love to see an 8D with the following capabilities:

Ability to retain autofocus to f/8 - that way I could use my 400mm f/5.6L lens with a 1.4x TC.

ISO 25 capability which would allow me to slow my shutter down enough to blur running and falling water using only a CPL filter instead of an ND filter.

Wireless tethering capability.

Five shot auto exposure bracketing with burst mode which would increase the HDR capability.

Additional "User Controlled Settings" instead of "basic Zone" settings.

I'd be very willing to give up the following capabilities which to me are absolutely useless:

In camera flash and just control the off camera flash in some other way.

Basic Zone "Dummy Settings"

Print from camera capability.

I'd even give up video capability but, I can see that might be an asset if I am ever standing around during an earthquake or some other natural disaster and want to make a few bucks recording it...

The above additions and subtractions would result in a "professional style" 1.6x camera. Canon would still have the xxxD and xxD series to bridge the gap between rank amateur and professional models.

And no, I don't want a 1Dxx model (which would be a lot like the camera I described above) because of the additional size and weight. I am very comfortable with the 1.6x format.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    And no, I don't want a 1Dxx model (which would be a lot like the camera I described above) because of the additional size and weight. I am very comfortable with the 1.6x format.
    The extra size and weight in turn have advantages though ...

- Less camera shake

- Built-in vertical grip

- A battery that you just can't kill no matter what you do with the camera (inc liveview)

- Weather sealing

Also - the 1.3x crop faactor of the 1D3 isn't a lot different to the 1.6x crop factor of the other models - and of course for that small difference you also get a camera with superior AF and metering.