Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tree Stump #2

Eastern Shore of the Chesapeak Bay, Maryland, USA
    Real Name
    Charley Simpson

Tree Stump #2

Trying again after reading "How to post images "tree-stump.jpg (87.9 KB)

tree-stump.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 5th February 2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: add image inline

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Re: Tree Stump #2

Welcome! An interesting subject and nice shot. Have you tried it in black and white? You might try to bring out more fine detail in the stump if you can.

Chuck

Just wondered why you used such a fast shutter speed? I would have thought reducing the ISO would have lowered the speed and given clearer details, especially if a smaller aperture was used. But I'm not familar with your camera so there might well be a valid reason for your settings.

As it is, I would be tempted to try some slight selective Unsharp Mask on the stump, not the background, which should improve the texture.

But all in all, your exposure and camera angle are good.

Eastern Shore of the Chesapeak Bay, Maryland, USA
    Real Name
    Charley Simpson

GeoffF: basically, it was point and shoot. On the beach with kids and I came across the stump. Took a shot then chased a child. Thanks for looking and the suggestions. You are right - if I had time.

As it is, I would be tempted to try some slight selective Unsharp Mask on the stump, not the background, which should improve the texture.
    I might go one further than that and invert the selection (after the USM) adjust levels to get a more vibrant background (to give better contrast between grass and tree) and apply a gaussian blur to the background. Oh, and before inverting the selection apply some pressure to the contrast peddle.

Just some thoughts and welcome Crabbe

Steve