Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Mechanic

Real Name
    António Correia

Mechanic

The garage is very dark and throught it's large door the Sun comes in from the South. It was in the morming and the Sun was not very hight at this time of the day. No, that is not correct.
    The entrance is not very hight and the quantity of incoming light is not very huge as we could suppose by the position of the large star and the time of the day. This time - for a change - I was using the two flashes both on stands triggered by remotes non TTL (I am missing now it's name/brand) with the Canon 5D + 24-70 f/2.8 L USM as usual these days. The 580 EXII was with an humbrella and all the shots were done with the light throught it. No ETTL then and all Manual flash. I am using Lightroom now and I converted two pictures to B&W. Some minor adjustments were done later.
    1. Mechanic 2. Mechanic 3. Mechanic 4. Mechanic

Re: Mechanic

The second BW is really nice I think.
    the mecanic element is out of focus enough to really bring attention to the man's face which has the perfect contrast/details to it.
    really nice.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by atvinnys View Post
    The second BW is really nice I think.
    the mecanic element is out of focus enough to really bring attention to the man's face which has the perfect contrast/details to it.
    really nice.

Thank you for the comment.
    That was the idea ! Everything in focus but the car.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Antonio,

Personally I quite like all of them, but as atvinnys says, #2 is especially good.

I tried hand masking to see if cropping would improve any of the others; e.g. the overly bright sun/sky on #1, but I really think you have the best cropping from these shots already, well done.

#1 would (in my opinion) have been better without the chap in the background, but that's easy for me to say, rather harder for you to organise.

#3 shows an improvement in your technique of capturing a good expression when the subject looks at the camera.

Keep up the good work and do keep posting them here, Dave

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    ... #1 would (in my opinion) have been better without the chap in the background, but that's easy for me to say, rather harder for you to organise...
    I have hesitated in this shot. Shall I keep it or not ?
    After all it was a client. Why not ?
    The white from the outside: it gives a certain mood to the picture. It does un-balance it.
    I liked it.
    Yes, it is always very easy to criticize and very difficult to do.
    As for example: to destroy is easy and quick. To build is hard and envolves time, money, investment what ever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    ...#3 shows an improvement in your technique of capturing a good expression when the subject looks at the camera...
    I told him: Look at me. And bang.
    Again, Look at me. And bank.
    Again, Sorry I have to tell you this for you to look at me. Let's begin again.... Look at me Bang.

The guy is very very expressive. Oh boy, does that exists in English ? Expressive ?
    I mean not transmiting in his face what goes inside his mind. Lack of expression.

Thank you for commenting.
    I have more. Oh yes, I do.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I quite agree the light is necessary in #1, it (visually) 'explains' the nice backlighting effect on the hairy material he is holding.

I'm no English language expert, but I would say although "expressive" is a real word, it means the opposite to what you explain (quite well) a little later. "Expressionless" is perhaps the word you were looking for, but that still may not be the most suitable perhaps "impassive" - but I had to look it up myself Enough English, that's not why we're here!

Perhaps instead of just asking your subjects to just look at you, you could try saying a word (quite loudly) that will cause them to react with the expression you desire. It is not for nothing we have an English phrase for family/holiday snaps where the photographer asks the assembled subjects to 'say "Cheese", since this makes their mouths appear to smile.

It all depends what expression you are wanting. If serious; get them to imagine telling their customer it's going to cost a lot of money. If more approachable or happy; say something friendly and complimentary about them or their skills. If surprised; ... you get the idea?

Hope that helps, Dave

such tight frames,never tell a story, that needs to be told all i can see is that the mechanic has a very DRAMATIC face his old rugged face,the strong wrinkles,and the sparkle in his eyes do tell some stories u need to use wider lens,good compositions,a thinking mind, to tell a story through still pics the mechanics dramatic face blows every thing else in this pics to smithereens

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by taken View Post
    such tight frames,never tell a story, that needs to be told all i can see is that the mechanic has a very DRAMATIC face his old rugged face,the strong wrinkles,and the sparkle in his eyes do tell some stories u need to use wider lens,good compositions,a thinking mind, to tell a story through still pics the mechanics dramatic face blows every thing else in this pics to smithereens
    Thank you taken for your comment.
    To tell a story in a picture is sometimes difficult.
    But don't you think that when I shoot him doing his daily job, I am connecting himself with that work and his story, of his life indeed...
    Don't you think that, at least the 1.st picture, tells a story ?!
    The story of the client and him apparently finnishing his own work almost talking to the passing guy ?

And all the others where he is working, telling us what is it all about ?
    If not, then what is it ?

Are these series of photos - I have been taking lately of Professionals - pictures of people and their stories of life ?

Forgive me to ask, then :
    What do you think a picture must represent/transmit to tell a story ?
    Can you give me a nice example ?
    Can you show me one of your own images with such a message ?

I am not offended even if it may seam by the way I write. No I am not.
    Go on. Tell me what you think about my pictures.
    Your comments may improve the pictures I take and that's what we all are here isn't it ?

Oh ! And have a nice week end.
    Today I go to the Photo Walk in Lisbon, late in the evenning.

my friend correia all i am saying is ur mechanic has such a powerful face, a face that could tell us a lot of interesting stories for hours! and i find this wonderful face totally over powering your image and the story you were trying to tell us! so bear in mind that every image or visual in ur pics should help u, in your story telling,convincingly not compete with each other for viewers attention,away from the main story u had in mind
    and pl do enjoy your photo walk in lisbon!