Thread: Nikon 18-200mm VR2 Zoom Lens + Teleconversion Lens

Nikon 18-200mm VR2 Zoom Lens + Teleconversion Lens

What are the issues with attaching a TCON 1.7 conversion lens to a Nikon 18-200 VR2 zoom lens using the appropriate adapter.

Regards, David

Re: Nikon 18-200mm VR2 Zoom Lens + Teleconversion Lens

At 200mm the maximum aperture of the 18-200 lens is f/5.6. Adding a 1.7 would reduce this by 1.5 stops, that is it would become an f/9.5 lens. To get any kind of acceptable IQ you probably would have to stop down to f/11. Nikon AF only works for lenses with f/5.6 or larger. Therefore, you could only use manual focus. The result would be a very slow lens with manual focus, a very dark viewfinder and very poor IQ. - The IQ of the 18-200 lens is not that great at 200mm, even without a TC.

To put things in perspective, I use a 1.7 TC with my 70-200 f/2.8 lens which gives a maximum aperture of f/4.8. To get reasonable IQ I have to stop down to f/5.6 and not zoom beyond about 190mm.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bottel View Post
    What are the issues with attaching a TCON 1.7 conversion lens to a Nikon 18-200 VR2 zoom lens using the appropriate adapter.

Regards, David
    Be aware that not all lenses by Nikon are compatible with teleconverters, including many of the consumer grade lenses. Teleconverters are designed more for the higher end commercial grade lenses. For more info:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...TC-17E-II.html

You may find that a Kenko teleconverter will work on Nikon lenses that won't take a Nikon teleconverter, due to a different design. Why anyone would want to do this on a consumer lens where the maximum aperture at the long end is usually f5.6 is beyond me, because the increase in maximum aperture will, in most situations, make it very very difficult for the autofocus to work.

Thank you all for your replies.
    Currently I am using a Panasonic FZ18 which has a focal range of 28-504mm (35mm equivalent), the max aperture at full zoom is f4.2.
    When I attach a TCON 17 and again zoom to maximum the aperture is still f4.2, and autofocus works fine.
    I want to upgrade to a Nikon D90 and hoped with a 18-200mm lens and a TCON 17 I could get close to my current setup.
    I am a relative beginner and do'nt understand why a superzoom bridge camera works fine with the above arrangement but a DSLR with a superzoom lens does'nt.

Regards, David

Thank you all for your replies.
    Currently I am using a Panasonic FZ18 which has a focal range of 28-504mm (35mm equivalent), the max aperture at full zoom is f4.2.
    When I attach a TCON 17 and again zoom to maximum the aperture is still f4.2, and autofocus works fine.
    I want to upgrade to a Nikon D90 and hoped with a 18-200mm lens and a TCON 17 I could get close to my current setup.
    I am a relative beginner and do'nt understand why a superzoom bridge camera works fine with the above arrangement but a DSLR with a superzoom lens does'nt.

Regards, David
    David, the aperture change (with teleconverter attached) does not show up on your camera's viewfinder or lcd info. The camera will only recognize the lens that's attached to it and it's aperture designated setting range. More or less the camera bypasses the teleconverter f stop (won't tell you the effect) but will give you the visual reach. You have to calculate the teleconverter's reach and effected f stop in your head.

For example 200 mm with 1.4x teleconverter is: 200 x 1.4= 280 mm f stop 2.8 x 1.4 = (3.9) F4. If you set your aperture to f4 on your camera, it's actually f5.6 not f4.0 and so on.

Amberglass,
    Thank you for your explanation.
    My interest is wildlife photography and with my current setup I con zoom to approx 857mm with no apparent loss of light in the viewfinder and still retain autofocus.
    I am dissapointed that if I spend £1200.00 on a D90 plus a 18-200mm lens my zoom reach, allowing for the crop factor, would only be 300mm.
    Time to think again.

Regards, David

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I am dissapointed that if I spend £1200.00 on a D90 plus a 18-200mm lens my zoom reach, allowing for the crop factor, would only be 300mm.
    Time to think again.
    Hi David,

This sort of thing is a BIG problem for people like yourself, I was relatively lucky in that my bridge cam (Fuji S6500) only had a 10x zoom that went to an effective 300mm, so with the aforementioned 18-200mm lens, I am no worse off. I very nearly didn't go DSLR for this reason, if the Nikon P90 had done RAW, I'd probably have one of those by now.

I did go DSLR and have found IQ and hence "cropability" of shots is improved as long as you don't want to print - because on the web, you can crop and display down 1:1 (at web quality 72ppi) if need be, and as long as you have a good sharpening and PP regime, not manypeople will notice if the picture content is good/interesting.

If you decide to stick with a bridge camera, whatever you do, don't get a jpg only model.

Cheers,

Amberglass,
    Thank you for your explanation.
    My interest is wildlife photography and with my current setup I con zoom to approx 857mm with no apparent loss of light in the viewfinder and still retain autofocus.
    Time to think again.

Regards, David
    Technically because of the smaller sensor (1.5x reach factor), your actually getting the equivalent of 27-300 mm with the 18-200 mm, true. But Nikon does offers the AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR which will bring you up to 120-600 mm on the D90 (more than enough for wildlife but thinks it's way more than what you want to spend). You can look for third party lenses like Tamron, Sigma, or Tokina for alternatives.

Dave,
    My camera is a Panasonic FZ18 and I only capture in RAW.
    I had hoped to upgrade to a DSLR and be able to match the zoom range of the FZ18 i.e 500mm by attaching a teleconversion lens.
    I am now undecided as to what to do, a DSLR because of its larger sensor would give me better IQ and lower noise, but by using Neat Image and only very rarely printing at 10"x 8" is this a problem.

Regards, David

Amberglass,
    Thanks for your further comments, I will look at third party lenses and would welcome any opinions and recommendations.

Regards, David

Since you have not yet bought or invested in any dslr systems, and are on a tight budget; consider going second hand with a midrange Canon dslr and the EF 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6L IS. This lens is very popular with starter wildlife photographers and often times you can pick one up at a great price. Why? Very very serious wildlife photography hobbyist will eventually move onto bigger primes like the 300 2.8 and etc with teleconverters if necessary.

Canon's D50 and D7 (or find a used D40) has better weather sealing against moisture. I don't know how willing or how far you are to "capture photos", but wildlife doesn't always show up in nice weather. Also it doesn't make sense to buy a moisture/dust sealed lens when you're camera isn't.

Amberglass,
    Thanks again, I will check out secondhand prices here in the UK.

Regards, David

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
    ~ Nikon does offers the AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR which will bring you up to 120-600 mm on the D90 (more than enough for wildlife but thinks it's way more than what you want to spend). ~
    I'd love one of these
    Shame about the price

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I'd love one of these
    Shame about the price
    Unfortunately this lens will not work on your camera because models below the D90 lacks the AF engine, so you will have to manually focus this zoom. I don't have any issues with beginners buying new entry level cameras (and of course budget has a lot to do with it) but I highly recommend to novices to think 5-6 years down the photographic road. If you're new to digital photography and want to explore it more without breaking the bank; go second hand on a mid-range body and quality used lenses. As you master the basics and the functionalities of the camera, save up for quality lenses and gear that will meet your demands to match your growing skill level for the future. If you decide that photography isn't for you, at least you didn't pay full price for new and the financial lose won't be as great.

Speaking as a photographer from "very humble" beginnings.
    Last edited by Amberglass; 1st February 2010 at 02:53 PM.