Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rule of 3rds ignored

Real Name
    Pops

Rule of 3rds ignored

I use this one as an example to my students that the rule of thirds is not mandatory. I explain that this is a "mood" picture, rather than a specific subject.

Rule of 3rds ignored

Not an exemplary example of photographic excellence, but good for the purpose. The only PP is the crop and resize to post here.

Pops

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Rule of 3rds ignored

I explain that this is a "mood" picture, rather than a specific subject
    And a very good one it is too.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    I use this one as an example to my students that the rule of thirds is not mandatory. I explain that this is a "mood" picture, rather than a specific subject.

Rule of 3rds ignored

Not an exemplary example of photographic excellence, but good for the purpose. The only PP is the crop and resize to post here.

Pops
    Pops,

It works because you are using that other less talked about compositional technique of leading lines. There are so many other ways of capturing the image that goes beyond the rule of thirds.

Yes, it is typically the case that when one "violates" one rule he/she ends up using another. Or it could be more the case that when a photo "works" we look at it and try to identify what magic rule it follows so that we can rationalize and objectivize why the image is compelling. Fact is, images that are truly compelling are so on an emotional level, and not because some identifiable, rational rule happens to manipulate its composition. I would suggest the above image's impact is primarily emotional and not rules-based.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by eNo View Post
    Yes, it is typically the case that when one "violates" one rule he/she ends up using another. Or it could be more the case that when a photo "works" we look at it and try to identify what magic rule it follows so that we can rationalize and objectivize why the image is compelling. Fact is, images that are truly compelling are so on an emotional level, and not because some identifiable, rational rule happens to manipulate its composition. I would suggest the above image's impact is primarily emotional and not rules-based.
    All rules are pretty much second nature when dealing with abstract photography, although some viewers can see traditional elements within an abstract when other viewers merely see color and contrast.

Real Name
    Richard

The "Rule of Thirds" is not carved in granite. There are no "Rule of Thirds Police" ready to arrest you for breaking the law. You are permitted to transgress from the Rule but, it is suggested that when a photographer does compose an image without adhering roughly to the Rule of Thirds; the photographer should realize why he or she desires the image to be composed in this fashion.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I always like to think that it's "ok to break the rules, so long as the image works". If you break the rules - and it doesn't work - then you should have followed the rules!

Real Name
    Pops

What pleases me about this one so much is that I was arguing with myself as I was taking the picture. The camera kept creeping up to minimize the horizon. and and I was busy saying "Bring in more horizon to 'balance' the shot." This is the one I put in my portfolio of that session. The responses I get from people viewing my portfolio tells me that the camera what was really wanted.

Pops

Real Name
    Brian M

I really like this photo. It feels like the sky is leading down to the bottom of the picture with multiple colors of the sky help draw your eyes in.