Thread: Where to buy lenses

Real Name
    Troy

Where to buy lenses

I've been thinking about getting a 50mm prime lens with any aperture value larger than f/2.0 in order to achieve more significant depth of field and ability to take pictures in low light indoor situations. It's for my Olympus Evolt E-410

The closest thing to a 50mm is my 40-150mm telephoto capable of f/4.0-5.6. According to this Wikipedia EV table, excruciatingly slow speeds of 1/8 with f/4.0 can be improved up to at least 1/30 and at most 1/60 (with f/2.0 and 1.4 respectively), which are both very reasonable speeds in my opinion.

However, my experience with purchasing camera equipment does not extend beyond Best Buy. Where is the best place to look for lenses like these (~50mm, f/1.4 to f/2.0, prime or zoom)? I don't plan on spending more than $100 USD, but I'll try to be open-minded. Also, I don't mind buying from the internet.

Does it matter if the lenses are not Olympus branded? How can more expensive, higher quality lenses help? I've never encountered any noticeable aberration around the edges of images captured my my Olympus Zukio Digital wide-angle 14-42mm or telephoto 40-150mm.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Where to buy lenses

Gidday

Not sure what you're meaning by "more significant depth-of-filed", but the wider the aperture the LESS the depth-of-field. With fast glasss F1.4, F2 etc the DoF can be just a few millimeters, depending on how far away you are from the subject.

The "gold choice" for anything photographic is www.bhphotovideo.com - I buy from them (as does 1/2 the planet), even though they're in New York, and I'm in New Zealand.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi there,

It would be useful to know;
    your name (just the fist one)
    where you are (a country at least - US?)
    whether you appreciate that on an Olympus 4/3 mount, this will be equivalent to 100mm on a 35mm film SLR?

At that length, it will possibly being a bit 'long' (i.e. too telephoto) for use indoors
    Otherwise, it will make a reasonable short telephoto effect portrait lens.

Olympus do a nice little 25mm/2.8 prime though, which would be equivalent to 50mm on a film SLR.

I cannot see anything below f2 though, even going right up to their "Top Pro" range, so I am beginning to wonder if this is a mount diameter limitation
    You must be looking at, or reading about, lenses for the more mainstream formats like Nikon and Canon.

The budget sounds too tight for anything but secondhand.
    Not sure how many third party lenses you'll find and if you do, there may be operational restrictions like manual focus only, etc.

Perhaps another 'Oly using' member could advise?

Cheers,

Sigma do makes some four thirds lens mount for your Olympus. Because the 4/3s CMOS sensor is very small (2x reach) unique to Ollies; you've probably discovered that their lenses costs a lot more compared to other main stream brands.

For example to get your camera to reach 70-200 mm equivalent, you would need 35-100 mm. Now throw in a wide aperture of f2-2.8 (automatically will mean $$$$), in your case the 35-100mm f/2.0 Zuiko E Series costs around $2,049.95.

Now in answer to your question; to get 50 mm on your camera - the Olympus's 25mm f/2.8 Pancake Lens is what you're looking for. Because 25 mm times 2x equals 50 mm. The price goes for around $250 USD new. I don't think anything on the market will go past an F2-2.8 aperture for Oly's. If there is, expect $$$$ consider the example above for 35-100 mm.

For cheaper prices, second hand is the way to go. www.keh.com is the place to look or the used department at BH, Adorama, or Calumet are good options too.

Often times Oly owners will buy adapter rings for their cameras to make other 3rd party lenses (tamron and pentax) mount. Though you can still focus to infinity, you will lose auto focusing; manual focus only. Metering can also be effected with certain adapters fyi.

A lot of parents at the gym that I shoot for owns Olys'. That's how I happen to know about them.

Hopes this helps.
    Last edited by Amberglass; 20th January 2010 at 02:24 PM.

Real Name
    Troy

Sorry, I'm familiar with the anonymity used in other forums I visit. I'm Troy from California in the USA.

@ Colin: Yes, I actually meant less depth of field.

@ Dave: I did completely forget about the effect of the sensor size on zoom with an arbitrary focal length. And I have been looking at Canon/Nikon information figuring it may apply to Olympus as well.

But one thing I'm stumped on the aperture limitation. How come it seems like f/1.4 is common among canon/nikon ?

f-number = focalLength / Diameter. I always thought this ratio was camera independent because even though a smaller sensor calls for a smaller focal length, it equally calls for a smaller diameter.

Thanks for all the input so far, I'll take a look at the websites and stores you have provided. I need to leave this computer for a while so I'll do more research later.

Troy, you're just in luck. Look what I have found for you. A complete list of 4/3 lenses that will work on your Oly. Including primes that goes down to f/1.4 and macros with wide apertures.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/fourthirds/lense.html

The Sigma 30 f/1.4 is within a affordable price range as well as the pancake by Oly, but sadly the Panasonic lens is made by Leica (which is a very high end optic brand). Still $100 will not get you what you want, so www.keh.com or second hand maybe the only option for you.

The Sigma you can get it for $439 and Pancake for $205 new with free shipping at Adorama:
    http://www.adorama.com/SG3014OM.html
    http://www.adorama.com/IOM2528.html

Cheers.
    Last edited by Amberglass; 21st January 2010 at 04:19 AM.

Regarding why Oly may not bother much with lenses faster than f/2 is that if you like ultra-shallow DoF you're better off using larger sensors.

To get DoF as shallow as you can get on a full frame sensor you'd need an even faster lens on a cropped sensor to keep the same angle of view. Lenses as fast as f/1.2, f/1 or oven f/0.95 tend to be big, heavy, expensive and can be seriously compromised for use at anything other than very wide apertures.

Shooting for shallow DoF just isn't a strength of 4/3rd (or APS-C that I use). A strength of the smaller sensors is being able to get more DoF thanks to being able to shoot at lower magnifications to achieve the same angle of view.

Perhaps the Oly lens range caters more for the strengths of the system than it's weaknesses?

Real Name
    Troy

Well, it's not so much the DoF as it is the speed of the lens that I'm interested in. Thanks amberglass for providing the four thirds link.

I'm particularly interested in the sigma 30mm f/1.4, and I'll take my time to find a good deal as I'm in no hurry to get one.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Troy

Actually, now I've got a new idea: why don't I get a new canon camera and lens altogether? for about $100 more, I can get a used Canon Rebel XS, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS, and 50mm f/1.8. Here are the links:
    https://www.ecomelectronics.com/p131....5-5.6+IS+Lens
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/olm/Ntt/CA5018EF2/N/0

Does all of this check out? Bottom line is that I end up paying 100 more for the lens I want, but I also get something else I've always wanted: an optically stabilized lens, plus more flexibility for lenses in the future with the canon body. The only part that I dislike is the slow fps when shooting in RAW. The speed is halved from 3 on my Oly to 1.5 on the Canon.

I guess you can say my budget has been slightly stretched...
    Last edited by pwnage101; 25th January 2010 at 07:58 AM.

Real Name

Some interesting Reseller Ratings on ecomelectronics.

Quote Originally Posted by pwnage101 View Post
    Actually, now I've got a new idea: why don't I get a new canon camera and lens altogether? for about $100 more, I can get a used Canon Rebel XS, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS, and 50mm f/1.8. Here are the links:
    https://www.ecomelectronics.com/p131....5-5.6+IS+Lens
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/olm/Ntt/CA5018EF2/N/0

Does all of this check out? Bottom line is that I end up paying 100 more for the lens I want, but I also get something else I've always wanted: an optically stabilized lens, plus more flexibility for lenses in the future with the canon body. The only part that I dislike is the slow fps when shooting in RAW. The speed is halved from 3 on my Oly to 1.5 on the Canon.

I guess you can say my budget has been slightly stretched...
    BH and Adorama are reputable camera shops and do have good used dept. www.keh.com is also another good place to get second hand gear, but as I have often times mentioned; not all their gear is second hand. Some are acquired by purchasing overstock from other camera shops, or from businesses that's gone under. Passing on the saving to you.

Olympus and Sony do make nice cameras, but unfortunately because of their unique mounts; you are often faced with with steep prices for lenses.
    Last edited by Amberglass; 25th January 2010 at 10:10 PM.

Real Name
    Troy

If I buy a lens body, does it come with a memory card? Specifically this Nikon D3000.

Thanks.

Real Name

If I buy a lens body, does it come with a memory card? Specifically this Nikon D3000.

Thanks.
    Traditionally no, but often dealers can be pursuaded to "throw in" a card and other sweeteners as a "deal closer"

Thanks.
    The D3000 takes SD memory cards including the SDHC (high capacity). Sandisk and Lexar regularly puts out rebates or instant rebates on their cards a few times a year, so keep an eye out and save. If you open an account at BH or Adorama, save the memory card that you prefer on your wishlist, and check on it periodically for rebates and sales. I am not a fan of the memory cards that are over 8 GB; 1. they're really expensive 2. not comfortable with having all your eggs in one basket 3. Memory cards can go bad, easier to save and on the wallet with 3 8 GB pack than 3 16 GB pack:P.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

I got mine with a 4 GB card, Lexar make, free of cost. It was already there in the box.

Real Name
    Troy

I use a 2gb on my Olympus and have never hit the limit. i think i'll grab a 4gb for 10 bucks and call it a day. I wont be buying for a while so I'll keep an eye out for those rebates.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    I got mine with a 4 GB card, Lexar make, free of cost. It was already there in the box.
    According to your thread you got a kit lens, though.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Yep, kit lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
    Sigma do makes some four thirds lens mount for your Olympus. Because the 4/3s CMOS sensor is very small (2x reach) unique to Ollies; you've probably discovered that their lenses costs a lot more compared to other main stream brands.

For example to get your camera to reach 70-200 mm equivalent, you would need 35-100 mm. Now throw in a wide aperture of f2-2.8 (automatically will mean $$$$), in your case the 35-100mm f/2.0 Zuiko E Series costs around $2,049.95.

Now in answer to your question; to get 50 mm on your camera - the Olympus's 25mm f/2.8 Pancake Lens is what you're looking for. Because 25 mm times 2x equals 50 mm. The price goes for around $250 USD new. I don't think anything on the market will go past an F2-2.8 aperture for Oly's. If there is, expect $$$$ consider the example above for 35-100 mm.

For cheaper prices, second hand is the way to go. www.keh.com is the place to look or the used department at BH, Adorama, or Calumet are good options too.

Often times Oly owners will buy adapter rings for their cameras to make other 3rd party lenses (tamron and pentax) mount. Though you can still focus to infinity, you will lose auto focusing; manual focus only. Metering can also be effected with certain adapters fyi.

A lot of parents at the gym that I shoot for owns Olys'. That's how I happen to know about them.

Hopes this helps.
    I will second the guys at http://www.keh.com/ I've bought a lot of gear from them and never had a problem. They are renowned for quality goods.

I usually buy from B&H or Adorama. Either will take good care of you.