Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Poppycock

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Poppycock

It's raining outside so I've been playing with old images. This is a composite of three photos, one of a frame around a friends painting, one of the ranch I grew up on and one of a lady and horse cart from the annual Dog and Pony Show at McCloud, CA. The title came to me when constructing the image of a lady confidently driving her pony cart out of frame. If she were to be told that she couldn't do this I'm certain she would respond with, "poppycock."

Chuck

Poppycock

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Poppycock

Along with what Ron has done at Looking South from home, imaginations as to how to present images are running riot today.

Another very clever idea, wonderfully executed.

Real Name
    Pops

This I really like. The only thing I'd suggest is to see if you can get the pony's left front hoof to overlap the outer frame just a bit. I think that would emphasize the "Steppin' out" theme.

Pops

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thank you Donald and for the link to the triptych image...well done.

Thank you Pops, the original is PSD and I will try what you suggest. I was afraid the horses front foot was getting too close to the edge of the image but it may well help the effect as you suggest.

Chuck

Real Name
    Wendy

Nice work. There is even a rut track behind the right hand wheel. This looks quite amazing to me. Great imagination and it must have taken a bit of effort to get it right. NICE!!

Real Name
    Pops

I've been looking at it again, a little. When you do bring it forward to extend the foot over the frame watch the left wheel of the buggy (right side of picture.) I would bring it to the frame and clone out the bottom of the picture because it will not have reached the frame just yet. Perhaps have the right wheel (left side of picture) just touching the frame. That would anchor that wheel, which appears almost to be floating in air.

A hint of shadow added to the underside and left of the buggy (right side of picture) might add just a bit, or it might detract. (Dang now you've got me thinking in PP mode. )

I did some of this kind of work back in the late 50s. Contact copy of a couple of 4x5 negatives, a light table and razor blades. FUSSYFUSSY is the name of the technique, if I remember correctly.

Pops

Real Name
    Pete

That is very cool, Chuck. Who said rainy days are boring?

I was thinking how you could get the horse to be stepping out of the inner frame but the buggy pic is too tall and would cut out the top details of the image (coz the buggy would then be still in the image as the horse is stepping out)

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thank you Hans and Pops....after it has set a while I may return to see if I can add some more dimension. I wrestled with placement and made a small change on the original (PSP) based on one of Pops' suggestions but I don't think I'm through with it. I think I may add another layer of horse and cart and add a drop shadow to the portion over the frame, I may also try a slight tilt and tinker with some more. The horse cart is coming off of a road and I would like to be able to show more of the road to take advantage of that effect but it's hard to get a decent size on the horse cart and still show the road...that's one of the reasons I may try a tilt. I need to come back to it cold with a fresh look. Thanks for input.

Chuck

Real Name
    Pops

I do think I like your new one better. It really brings out the theme, in my eye.

Pops

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

You have a good eye Pops....I changed it but the change is subtle. Even so I think it is an improvement. Thanks for your input.

Chuck

Real Name
    Pops

Well, subtle is not really my forte', but ... Thank you.

Now, I'll pickypicky just a bit more. The shadows of the wheels should not protrude below the wheel. The wheels are on the ground (or, frame, in this case.) In the same way, the shadow of the horse's left rear hoof should not protrude below the hoof, but the shadow of the horse's left front hoof is just right.

What you have now, is the horse and buggy floating in the air.

Pops

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    What you have now, is the horse and buggy floating in the air.
    If Mary Poppins can do it so can Poppycock. That's the effect I was going for....a fanciful image defying reality in an almost believable way. Remember, if you tell her she and her cart and horse can't be suspended in air she woul respond with, "Poppycock!"

Chuck

Real Name
    Pops

I thought you might feel so, but couldn't resist putting in another thought. I do really like it. Good Job!

Pops