Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Finally found the courage to share...

Real Name
    Sarah

Finally found the courage to share...

I've been very hesitant and nervous about sharing my photos as I am still learning. But here are some that I really enjoy and would love to hear some feedback. Some I have spent hours editing, others only a few minutes.

If there's another way I should be uploading these please let me know. Also, I don't know how to get the EXIF info. I use a compact camera, Canon SD1100 IS, so no RAW images.

cello_w1000.jpg

anna-wedding.jpg

anna_w1000.jpg

tamina_w1000.jpg

augustina_w1000.jpg

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 17th January 2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: added images inline

Real Name
    John

Re: Finally found the courage to share...

Sarah,

All five photos have something special about them. I especially like Tamina and Augustina and wouldn't change anything about them.

For cello, I would consider re-positioning the model so that the sun is not causing her to squint.
    For Anna's wedding I would step back a bit and get more of the window and more the dress in the photo. I think you are getting most of your light from the window and it is giving your photo cooler colors that aren't providing enough tones to the model's skin.
    The photo of Anna in the woods is perfectly compositioned, I would trim the tree out in the middle ground on the left side, show more of the dress in the foreground, and watch out for too many highlights in the dress from overexposure.

Please send more photos, I like what I see.

Ha. You should not have to pick up courage to show these. I do like the cello and the only real issue I have with the brides is that you have cut off their trains...which upsets the flow somewhat...and no doubt would upset some brides. Makes me wonder what you would be capable of with a DSLR and access to the RAW files. Nice work

Steve

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by SGerke View Post
    I've been very hesitant and nervous about sharing my photos as I am still learning.
    Well, that's quite a first show!

Hi Sarah. Great to see you posting images. You're right. That first time. Your finger hovers over the 'Submit Reply' button for ages. You think, "Will they all think these are rubbish. Maybe no-one will post any comments and that will confirm they're awful."

Well, if you're really into to wanting to learn, then this is the place.

I agree with the comments above. But, boy have you an innate ability to visualise a shot! That shines through. And working on the technical/skills bits will just allow that to shine through even more.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Sarah,

I agree with Steve and Shadowman, I think these show great promise for you as a photographer.

With a DSLR and RAW, the blown highlights on the woods shot could have been fixed.
    A DSLR would also give a better (ie.e reduced) Depth of Field for isolating the subject in the last two (and the first).

Cheers,

Don't be shy! We're all nice, offer constructive criticism, and just generally help eachother out at CiC. That's why I continue to post my photos here--there's a great atmosphere and users with varying levels of experience who all want to help you. Couldn't get better! =)

I think I like your 3rd shot the best out of all of them. As other members may have already suggested, including the entire dress train and managing the highlights better (aka not blowing out the detail of the very white dress) would improve the image.

Good luck and please continue to post your pictures!

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Sarah, I am also at learning stage and joined this forum for the same. People here are wonderful. You entry shots are way too good than what mine were. So you don't have to be shy at all.

And you really deserve a DSLR.
    You really have an eye for photography. Feel free and ask for any feedback here. You wouldn't get to know just the goods and bads about your photography but also other things, like Alice in wonderland, some great mathematicians and singers. So don't be shy and I am sure you'll enjoy your stay here.

All nice photos. I like the first and 3rd the best. I think the perspective distortion of the last one is too little though.

great mathematicians and singers.
    That lets me off the hook then

Real Name
    Pete

All the C&C has been done.

All with a compact camera? You rock!!!...when are you getting that DSLR

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I think Sarah has gone all shy on us again

Not sure why though, check out her album, there are some others in there I like a lot.

Don't be embarrassed, come back Sarah

Enjoy,

Real Name
    Sarah

WOW! Thank you all so much!! I'm so incredibly flattered!

I noticed the train of the dress when I was going through my shots. And everything else is absolutely right. Won't be able to get the DSLR for a while money is always an issue.

Thank you all again, very much! I will be posting more tonight and also some architecture shots, so again, please feel free to share C&C!