Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Using monopods

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Using monopods

When using a monopod, is it necessary turn off the VR/IS of the lens?
    Cheers,
    Antonio.

Real Name
    John

Re: Using monopods

I would say it depends on how steady you are. Monopods are considered by some to be third in steadiness behind tripods and a solid surface. if you aren't completely braced, at least in my experience, there is still some camera rotation or side to side wavering.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Antonio,

When using the monopod; I keep my VR on, for the reasons John gave.

It might be wise to refer to the appropriate lens (or camera) manual for more specific advice - although there's the risk you won't actually find any monopod advice - and be none the wiser

Real Name
    Grahame

Antonio,

Why not undertake a test and show us the results, I'm sure they will be of interest.

Real Name
    Richard

I always leave the IS engaged when shooting on a monopod. Even on the older version of IS which needed the IS to be disabled when tripod mounted (such as in the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens), leaving the IS engaged when using a monopod was totally O.K. and a good idea.

Real Name
    Lex

Many modern lenses like the Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L II have VR systems designed to prevent issues when the camera's locked down. If you can leave VR on with a tripod, a monopod, being considerably closer to hand-holding, is probably the same story. But this many not apply to older lenses.

RTFM forever.

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

John, Dave, Richard and Lex,
    Thank you very much. I understood that is better to keep the IS / VR switched on when using a monopod.

Grahame,
    I don't have (yet) a monopod. I agree with you: it is a good idea to take some photos with a monopod and the IS / VR switched on/off and show the results on a thread.

All the best,
    Antonio.
    Last edited by Panama Hat & Camera; 23rd October 2013 at 12:45 AM.

Real Name
    Dan

Definately VR/IS on is beneficial with a monopod at "low" shutter speeds. Even on a tripod and with older lenses that don't have a tripod setting, the VR/IS is beneficial if one is triggering the shutter by hand versus using a remote release. The recommendation to turn VR/IS off assumes that the camera will be perfectly still on the tripod and the motion of the VR/IS itself will cause blur. If conditions are anything other than perfectly still (almost always the case if one is touching the camera, wind is blowing, etc), the VR/IS will likely help.

Should we get into the debate about VR/IS at high shutter speeds?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Definately VR/IS on is beneficial with a monopod at "low" shutter speeds. Even on a tripod and with older lenses that don't have a tripod setting, the VR/IS is beneficial if one is triggering the shutter by hand versus using a remote release. The recommendation to turn VR/IS off assumes that the camera will be perfectly still on the tripod and the motion of the VR/IS itself will cause blur. If conditions are anything other than perfectly still (almost always the case if one is touching the camera, wind is blowing, etc), the VR/IS will likely help.

Should we get into the debate about VR/IS at high shutter speeds?
    Are we talking handheld or still on a monopod?

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Are we talking handheld or still on a monopod?
    If you're referencing the comment re.potential debate, take your pick

Real Name
    John

I did some short tests on a tripod with and without IS on. It looks like normal exposure times are the problem. All is steady until the mirror and shutter moves and suddenly there is vibration, camera tries to cope and spoils the shot. I've only done a few very long exposures so pass on that aspect. Star shots that didn't work out but not because the IS was on or off.

I have always left it on when using a monopod. Here the camera is still being held so that will damp out the vibrations. In some ways monopods are also often more rigid than many tripods that can easily be carried around.

The tests were looking at the actual pixels less bayer mask processing on an older as against new lenses. Curiosity again. One of Manfrotto's smaller tripods and a metal ball and socket mount so no rubber between it and the camera. Best results were IS off by a large margin. Micro 4/3 so no mirror. People have had problems using Panasonic m4/3 on microscopes for the same reason. So far I haven't on Pen's but that could be down to the microscopes used.

John
    -

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    If you're referencing the comment re.potential debate, take your pick
    It depends on the ability of the individual to hold the camera steady.

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

It depends on the particular model of lens in use, as to whether IS/VR is left on or switched off. Most stabilised lenses made before 2011 should have the IS/VR switched off when used with any kind of mounting, such as a monopod, tripod or clamp. Later lenses have a switch setting labelled "active" or "Mode 2" which is for panning and disables stabilisation in the horizontal plane. Recent models of both Nikon and Canon lenses have automatic stabilisation mode control and these lenses can detect when a tripod or monopod is in use and compensate accordingly. You need to consult the manufacturers instructions for the specific lens that you are using to determine the correct stabilisation management with different types of mounting systems.

Real Name
    Richard

Graham where did you get your information that IS/VR should be turned off when using a monopod? This "could" be true regarding Nikon VR lenses. I don't have any personal experience with Nikon products.

However, when I purchased my first DSLR (the Canon 10D) and the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens (which is one of the first Canon lenses equipped with Image Stabilization), I contacted Canon with the question about turning off the IS when monopod mounted. The answer that I got from Canon was to turn the IS off when tripod mounted but leave it on when monopod mounted. This was shot with the Canon 300mm f/4L IS lens with the IS in mode 2 for panning...

Using monopods

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    ... You need to consult the manufacturers instructions for the specific lens that you are using to determine the correct stabilisation management with different types of mounting systems.
    While one should always refer to manufacturers' literature as the first source of information, by no means should it be considered THE source of information. One should consider that anything published by the manufacturer is influenced as much or more by the marketing department as by the technical department. By definition they publish the most conservative information that is likely to yield the fewest complaints. Sticking purely within manufacturers' recommendations is safe but definately limits one utilizing the full capabilities of the equipment.

Like most things in life, there is the theoretical answer and then all the practical answers. A little bit of home testing can go a long way in helping one weed through differing opinions on topics like this.

Personally I change my own opinion every few months on the benefits of VR on/off. Too many variables in the equation...

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Antonio,

Why not undertake a test and show us the results, I'm sure they will be of interest.
    Grahame,
    I liked your idea and I bought a monopod Velbon UP-400DX. I made some tests and undoubtedly it is much better keeping the IS/VR turned on.
    All the best,
    Antonio.

Real Name
    J stands for John

It just MAY depend on the IS system ... reading the manual and I discovered that my little E-PL1 has four options ... two of which depend on if the camera is moving sideways or up and down .... the sideways perhaps applies to monopod use so I intend to select that and see what happens Perhaps I have it wrong and it is the U&D I will want?

Real Name
    Alexander

Hi Antonio
    I agree with John and Dave.

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    It just MAY depend on the IS system ... reading the manual and I discovered that my little E-PL1 has four options ... two of which depend on if the camera is moving sideways or up and down .... the sideways perhaps applies to monopod use so I intend to select that and see what happens Perhaps I have it wrong and it is the U&D I will want?
    I think you are right! It depends on the type of the camera.
    Please see my new thread Try to guess which photos were taken handheld, with monopod or tripod, with or withou (Try to guess which photos were taken handheld, with monopod or tripod, with or without IS).

Cheers,
    Antonio.