Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Form and texture in B&W

Form and texture in B&W

These two are examples of photos I had bypassed in the past due to a lack of understanding of what I had seen in them when I captured them. Now that I get how B&W emphasizes form and texture, I went back and tried a couple of conversion approaches to see what I ended up with. What do you think?

Details for #1
    Form and texture in B&W

Details for #2
    Form and texture in B&W

Re: Form and texture in B&W

I am repeatedly crushing my fingers in the printer lid as I am saying this....but something is wrong with the first image (ouch) and I think it is the rule of thirds (ouch). Unfortunately the b/w conversion does not alter the composition. The midway 'horizon' for want of a better word) does not work for me. There is not enough interest in the stones to warrant a half page spread. I think this is due to the bleaching out of the rocks in the harsh sun light. The confusion of the backdrop makes my eyes take refuge in those rocks.

I am going to be a real philistine with No 2 and say that I cannot see the image for the rock. I know I am supposed to see texture but there is no focal point. The image seems a little soft in places and I think that adds to the confusion.

Sorry to sound harsh with these but for me a b/w conversion cannot cure an image that you did not feel was worthy in colour. Quite the opposite in fact I believe you need an outstanding colour image to consider b/w conversion (re: some of those wonderful images on your Flickr site)

Steve

Real Name
    Steve

I don't agree with steve. The top one is of interest but I don't like the halo edge around the rocks ( or is it just white). There seems to be three points of interest in the forground, grass and rocks but too narrow where wide angle could possibly be better.

However; I've got my perfectionist hat on today, and I love your images really. I should talk about several subjects where I deliberately chuck it all in.........

Real Name
    Pops

The second one doesn't do much for me. However I would work on the first one. Here is my first suggestion on a crop. This crop changes the picture to emphasize the ogre scratching his forehead on the tree.

Form and texture in B&W

Pops