Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 3 Kids

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

3 Kids

Tonights shoot, in a make-shift studio ...

3 Kids
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 15th January 2010 at 02:31 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: 3 Kids

Technically excellent as usual.

OK, you know I am no expert, but... the only thing that strikes me looking at them is not having quite enough 'modelling' in the lighting set up.
    They're just a tad too evenly lit across the frame. You know what I mean; too much 'fill'/not enough 'key'.

It is just a feeling though, darn good shots which I'm sure they (and their parents) are all pleased with.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Pops

I have to agree with Dave, on this one. Great shots, but I'd have used a little of what my mentor used to call "shadow light" on them. Not much, mind you, but just enough to soften the flash blast effect.

Great shots, though.

Pops

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind words

It would have been nice to have been able to do more with the lighting, but there just wasn't time ... it started out as a "photo of the kids for partner's birthday tomorrow" (which was a VERY tight schedule anyway), and ended up being "photos of each kid individially- photos of all kids together - photos of Mum - photos of Mum and Dad - photos of the whole family" etc ... not to mention "fun stuff" photos of the kids doing crazy things to keep them in a co-operative frame of mind; all in a makeshift studio (10 x 4m boat shed) (hopefully get my new studio sorted in the next month or so).

Shot almost a couple of hundred frames in about an hour, with no assistants - so I had to use a couple of speedlights shot through shoot-through umbrellas on the floor in lieu of a reflector, and a couple of Elinchrom 60 x 80cm softboxes on boom arms for main/fill. The lightmeter was telling me that there was (off memory) a 4:1 contrast ratio between the softboxes and the umbrellas, but I had to run with balanced keys and balanced fills (sorta/kinda a dual balanced offset clamshell configuration!).

Always fun though

PS: I kinda like even lighting anyway