Thread: Boiler Got Chained

Real Name
    Raj

Boiler Got Chained

Hi, going forward on my photography venture I stopped and clicked another shot. Can you please review it and let me know what exactly is missing for it to reach position Perfect?

It is an HDR and I deliberately gave it a grungy & dreamy look. It was a pretty big, heavy and jammed old chain, couldnt do much about moving it, so have to click as it is.

EV Range : -2 0 +1

Thank You

Boiler Got Chained

Real Name
    John

Re: Boiler Got Chained

I'm not that good that I know what perfection looks like Raj but I like this. No worries over the chain. It says a lot about what we are looking at and forms a good lead in compositionally. I also think the treatment is well suited to the subject and so I guess you can say that I rate this highly. Good image.

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    I'm not that good that I know what perfection looks like Raj but I like this. No worries over the chain. It says a lot about what we are looking at and forms a good lead in compositionally. I also think the treatment is well suited to the subject and so I guess you can say that I rate this highly. Good image.
    Thanks for your kind review and appreciation.

Real Name
    Tommy

Cool effect. I think it works very well in this image, although I usually find it a little gimmicky on the whole.

Would you mind posting the workflow you employed to achieve this look?

Thanks

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Cool effect. I think it works very well in this image, although I usually find it a little gimmicky on the whole.

Would you mind posting the workflow you employed to achieve this look?

Thanks
    It is an HDR with EV Range : -2 0 +1 which was merged (Tone Mapped) in Photomatix Pro to achieve some grungy look. For that you need to play with the sliders for every image. Then it was post processed in photoshop. I did local curve adjustments, played with the levels and few burn & dodge in order to enhance the texture.

Post Processing Time : 1.5 hours Approx

Thanks

Real Name
    Tommy

Cool. thanks for sharing that, Raj

Raj,
    I like it a lot as well. Great feel to it. Also (IMHO) you might have a second shot in that image. Were you to crop it just at the top of the chain, leaving the man-shaped pipping, it suggests a stair case (at least to me). Rendered in B&W it might be interesting. But the image as is is excellent.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I like that your post-processing seems to have achieved exactly the look that you had in mind.

Consider cropping at the bottom of the window to make the large chain a more dominant element.

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Cool. thanks for sharing that, Raj
    Welcome

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I like that your post-processing seems to have achieved exactly the look that you had in mind.

Consider cropping at the bottom of the window to make the large chain a more dominant element.
    Thanks for your valuable review. Yes, This is the exact look I had in my mind while clicking it.
    Are you referring to this crop? (Please click the link for the cropped image as suggested)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywznvp4r0o...ned-engine.png
    Last edited by fotugraphy; 11th October 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Yes, that's the kind of crop I had in mind. For me, it makes the photograph stronger.

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    Raj,
    I like it a lot as well. Great feel to it. Also (IMHO) you might have a second shot in that image. Were you to crop it just at the top of the chain, leaving the man-shaped pipping, it suggests a stair case (at least to me). Rendered in B&W it might be interesting. But the image as is is excellent.
    Thanks for your kind review. Are you refering to this crop? (Please click the link for the cropped image as suggested)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8884yohju...tairs-case.png

The second crop is nice as well but is a completely different photo and will be considerably more limited in the size of print that can be made from it.

Real Name
    Raj

Yes, that's the kind of crop I had in mind. For me, it makes the photograph stronger.
    Thanks for the valuable suggestion. I will crop the image and do little bit of local aesthetic adjustments too for it

Real Name
    Raj

The second crop is nice as well but is a completely different photo and will be considerably more limited in the size of print that can be made from it.
    This place is like 5 min drive from my home, i will try to get only the chain shot in few days. Updated in my To Do list

Thank You.

Real Name
    Raj

Here is the final cropped image with few adjustments as suggested. Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2d2wjls97v...-boiler-cr.png

That last version looks best to me. The only thing that I can think of now is that there are small areas of the chain that are blurred, which is probably caused by your post-processing. Though that might lend to the dreamy look you were hoping to achieve, I think you'll retain the dreamy look even if you get rid of those blurry conditions.

Real Name
    Raj

That last version looks best to me. The only thing that I can think of now is that there are small areas of the chain that are blurred, which is probably caused by your post-processing. Though that might lend to the dreamy look you were hoping to achieve, I think you'll retain the dreamy look even if you get rid of those blurry conditions.
    Thanks a lot for your kind review . It is due to the fact that i used focus stacking for this image and photoshop did it with auto blending. I have to mask out the blur chain and few adjustments again. That's not a problem for me as I do non destructive work in photoshop

Raj, I hope you don't mind, I took a swing at your image to show you what I was thinking. However, as evidenced by some of the images I've posted, I don't always seem to get it right. But it's an image I see that I think may be interesting.
    Boiler Got Chained

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    Raj, I hope you don't mind, I took a swing at your image to show you what I was thinking. However, as evidenced by some of the images I've posted, I don't always seem to get it right. But it's an image I see that I think may be interesting.
    Boiler Got Chained
    Thank you for providing another aspect of this image. This place is like few min drive from my home, i will surely click only this chain and will frame it only for the chain. (Somewhat like this just few adjustments).