Thread: Larch

Real Name
    Jon

Larch

Larch

Real Name
    Travis

Re: Larch

Jon, I absolutely love this shot. the texture in the snow, the minimalist use of color of the trees and best of all the rocks at the top of the photo that just draw my eye up to see whats next. Great work

Real Name
    Shane

Jon as you may have seen I really enjoyed the wider view of this area from your hike and while I like this one I wonder if you have some room in your framing to include the tops of the back left trees in this composition?

It is a lovely scene and also well captured (and processed) it just feels a bit chopped off to me...

Real Name
    Jon

Thanks Travis. Shane, unfortunately I cut off all frames , I did use my 70-200 and isolated these two larches in other frames in both portrait and Landscape

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I agree with Shane in all respects and would like to offer a solution regarding the composition for your consideration: Crop the top at about the middle of the trees in the rear. The resulting composition emphasizes the pair of larches as the subject, which are further enhanced by some tracks on the slope behind them that lead the eye to them. The more aggressive crop also removes the feeling that the tops of the rear trees are "missing."

Real Name
    Jon

Thanks Mike, I "See" now. with just a little crop, it really does change they way I look into this photo, I like it, and I did not see that before

Larch

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

You should be very proud of that photo with the new crop. I just love everything that you did with it.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

i too felt the necessity of what you have already done through editing; now, very nice

Real Name
    Shane

I agree that this crop is a great improvement. Mike, thank you for taking my critique a bit further and providing a 'solution' that really works - this provides me with some insight into how I can better critique images (my own and others) by asking the simple question of how to overcome the perceived issues rather than just identifying them.