Thread: Hawk Lake Log Chute

Real Name
    Allan Short

Hawk Lake Log Chute

Someone I know posted a shot of this log chute which is about 2 hours from me, he is from Whitehorse in the Yukon I had never heard of it. It was nice that he linked so you could find the site with the directions. So on my way home from Algonquin Park I stopped to try my hand at it. Not easy finding a place to get the angle you want, almost impossible to use a tripod, you end up lying down on oak timbers hanging over the edge looking straight down. As I know where it is now I will be returning maybe just after first snow. It takes a guy from the Yukon to show a so called local where to go, go figure.

Cheers:

Allan

Hawk Lake Log Chute

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Hawk Lake Log Chute

I think this would work better in more diffused light. I look forward to seeing more versions of it!

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Its a good shot - I keep looking at it and tell myself the water is flowing away from you, but then I look again.............. Good autumn colours

Real Name
    Allan Short

The first time I say the shot from Richard, I thought that the water was flowing towards me, once I got there and tried to find where he shot it from, I realized I had to shot from the dam. You have to use a wide angle, the speed of the water, and the angle that you have to shoot from, it does look like the water is coming at you look again and it is flowing away. It is shot from the head of the dam, looking down the chute where the water flows into a pool then over a 6 foot or so falls.

Cheers:

Allan

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

In a two-dimensional object, which is what a photo is, the typical human response is that everything that is in the upper part of the frame is higher than everything in the lower part of the frame unless there is something really compelling that indicates otherwise. I think that's why at least the first impression of this photo is that the water is flowing toward the viewer.

If you used a faster shutter speed that stopped more of the action, the direction of the water itself might be more evident and might reveal immediate clues about the direction that it is flowing. Just a guess.

Real Name
    Steve

Great picture. What is the chute used for?

Real Name
    Allan Short

It was built to allow logs to travel down what was once a set of rapids. There was once and still is a lot of logging going on in Ontario today only difference is now it is moved by truck.

Cheers:

Allan