Thread: Changing the learning curve from macro to landscape

Real Name
    Brian

Changing the learning curve from macro to landscape

Taking good advice is a good idea. Enough of the macro learning curve and onto landscape and big stuff. (I will learn the technical talk later). This is an untouched photo from our roof of our neighbours tree. I used the telephoto in the Finepix S4200. I think that I got a good natural framing and some interesting shadow / sunlight action?
    B

Changing the learning curve from macro to landscape

Real Name
    J stands for John

Re: Changing the learning curve from macro to landscape

I believe the same principles apply to both close-ups and wide shots and the intermediate. I take shots like this for my personal memory but they stay in the computer.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Paul,
    As with your macro learning, you need to decide what is going to draw the eye into the photograph and also what provides the interest.
    Light, and quality of light is best captured when there is a clear point of interest to dray the attention.
    This shot, and I take your point about it being straight out of the camera is landscape in orientation only, and the zoom has in principle at least just saved a walk to get closer.

Compositionally this is similar to your earlier efforts and doesn't work for me, with too much dark foliage framing the capture . Detail to the right is almost non existent.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    Paul,
    As with your macro learning, you need to decide what is going to draw the eye into the photograph and also what provides the interest.
    Light, and quality of light is best captured when there is a clear point of interest to dray the attention.
    This shot, and I take your point about it being straight out of the camera is landscape in orientation only, and the zoom has in principle at least just saved a walk to get closer.

Compositionally this is similar to your earlier efforts and doesn't work for me, with too much dark foliage framing the capture . Detail to the right is almost non existent.
    Except for the telephoto saving me from trespassing rather than walking... I see your points.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    I believe the same principles apply to both close-ups and wide shots and the intermediate. I take shots like this for my personal memory but they stay in the computer.
    but you already know what you are doing!

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    I think that I got a good natural framing and some interesting shadow / sunlight action?
    [/IMG]
    Brian

I think what you have actually achieved is some shadow with a total loss of detail and some blown out sky, it's what we generally try to avoid.

To produce 'pictures' that are going to be interesting to others they have to have something of interest within them and I see no subject in this image that draws my attention.

Real Name
    Michael

Nice shoot ...

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Brian

I think what you have actually achieved is some shadow with a total loss of detail and some blown out sky, it's what we generally try to avoid.

To produce 'pictures' that are going to be interesting to others they have to have something of interest within them and I see no subject in this image that draws my attention.
    fair enough

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelclark View Post
    Nice shoot ...
    you ar definitely in the minority