Thread: This can't be write

Real Name
    Charles

This can't be write

I use SD cards in my camera, which has 2 card slots. I would like to write ID on the labels on my cards, but as yet, I have been unable to find a device that will actually write on these labels. Does everybody else have this problem, and has anybody solved it? I usually use either Sandisk or Kingston cards.

Real Name
    Giacomo

Re: This can't be write

I succesfully used Stabilo "OHPen permanent" markers on Sandisk SD cards.
    They work pretty well on this type of surfaces. As an alternative, you can use small pre-printed stickers
    Giacomo

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I have used a "Sharpie" to write on the rear of each SD card.

Real Name
    Lex

Silver-colored Sharpies work well for writing on black plastics. In the US, most office supply places have them.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Any felt-tip pen should do it Charles.

PS. By the way, the Scandisk you can wipe clean with a tad of thinners. With the Kingston the printing on the label comes off.
    Last edited by AB26; 9th October 2013 at 03:23 PM.

Real Name
    Martin

I use a Brother "P-Touch" label maker... the label has a letter indicating which card it is in sequence plus my email address... so that if I do lose one somewhere, hopefully some kind hearted person will contact me.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

The (perhaps small) risk with anything stuck on to the card, be that label tape or paper label, is that if, during operation, when the camera + card may become quite warm, the glue 'fails', you may end up with a loose label in the memory card slot (when card removed) which then gets into the connector when you re-insert the next card

Personally I would have suggested the 'permanent' OverHead (projector) pen idea as Giacomo did.

Or perhaps very gently scoring/engraving the non label side of the card with a sharp pointy tool or needle. (take care - we don't want any 'skewered' finger tips)

btw - good thread title Charles

Real Name
    Lex

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries
    Or perhaps very gently scoring/engraving the non label side of the card with a sharp pointy tool or needle. (take care - we don't want any 'skewered' finger tips)
    Or cracked card cases, for that matter. I'd be very cautious with engraving. Most cards use fairly brittle plastic, and the vibration, though brief, is vicious. A Dremel with an abrasive, fine-grit rotary attachment would probably be a better bet. Less likely to crack the case or vibrate it into oblivion.

Real Name
    Charles

Many thanks for your suggestions chaps. I have just tried a Papermate permanent marker and it works a treat. Now why didn't I think of that myself.

Real Name
    Peter

Any CD marker should work I think, or a sharpie as suggested above.

Real Name
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    The (perhaps small) risk with anything stuck on to the card, be that label tape or paper label, is that if, during operation, when the camera + card may become quite warm, the glue 'fails', you may end up with a loose label in the memory card slot (when card removed) which then gets into the connector when you re-insert the next card

Personally I would have suggested the 'permanent' OverHead (projector) pen idea as Giacomo did.

btw - good thread title Charles
    That's a good point about the glue failing. There's different "tapes" available for the labeller and I've used a type with a more tenacious adhesive... it doesn't come off very easily. I've also rounded the corners on the labels with a sharp pair of scissors so the corners don't catch on the edges of the card slot.