Thread: back on fully auto with no photoshopping

Real Name
    Brian

back on fully auto with no photoshopping

back on fully auto with no photoshopping
    Last edited by JBW; 7th October 2013 at 07:17 AM. Reason: the picture got lost

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: back on fully auto with no photoshopping

Hi Brian,

Out of curiosity may I ask firstly why you took this specific picture and then secondly, why you posted it here?

Grahame

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Grahame, I took the picture because when I saw the sunlight and shadows I thought it beautiful. I posted it here because (1) this is the nature forum (2) I had hopes that people might enjoy the beauty (3) I am under the impression that this is where I should post photo's I am interested in getting feed back on.

If I am wrong in any of my beliefs please correct me.

Real Name
    Grahame

Hi Brian,

The reason I asked those two questions is that it was unclear to me (and that's just me) exactly what you were trying to achieve.

Your reply now gives me and others an idea of why you took the image and what you wanted it to portray so that we can use this in helping to give an opinion as you are interested in getting feedback on it.

Personally it does nothing for me at all, I see no beauty in it and find it too busy in the background and also of poor image quality.

Grahame

Real Name
    Brian

Grahame, sorry about that. To me the shadows and the colours are beautiful. Forests or jungles are busy. As for poor image quality I could have sharpened it up but it was an early morning shot where everything was wet and soft.
    B.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Brian,

I think you are getting lost in the moment maybe and forgetting to consider the limits of your equipment. You also give me the impression that you are not keen to post process images, preferring simple 'in-camera' capture.

We all see light differently but the common factor is that we see scenes like this much more intensely than the camera does.

I can well imagine that the central area where the sun was striking the branch had a great impact on you.

If I were to take that shot, I would suggest a much tighter crop to emphasise the areas that you were particularly taken by.

I have seen from some of your other submissions that there is something in the images that is appealing to you, (light quality maybe), but at present, this is not coming through to me because the composition is just wrong. (sorry to be so blunt!)

You need to do the following:-

1) browse some of the excellent tutorials on photographic composition that are available on the net.
    2) re-examine the shots you have already taken and decide how the principles of composition can be applied to salvage something of what you saw.
    3) For future shoots, apply the composition rules to what you see through the view finder.

4) You may not wish to 'photoshop' the images, but I suggest that you use whatever imaging software that came with your camera to crop, adjust sharpness, brightness and colour tone as appropriate. (Usually, our memory of an scene is that it has more 'pop' than the image directly from the camera)

Finally, try to set yourself a theme for shoots. For example, since you seem at present to be interested in the quality of light, I have never yet seen a landscape or plant that didn't look interesting after rain.

I've taken the liberty of grapping your image and cropping it and applying basic post processing to illustrate my comments above.

Hope it helps....... James

[IMG]back on fully auto with no photoshopping[/IMG]

Real Name
    Brian

James, going to think on what you said. I have nothing against photo-shopping but in this case i can't see any improvements. i tried half a dozen crops and none of them work for me. I really like the long soft morning look.
    B
    Last edited by JBW; 7th October 2013 at 01:45 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Brian - something that I ask myself when I look at one of my images is "what is the subject?". Unless that is clear to me, I find I have a weak image.

The second question that I ask myself is "what is the first thing that catches my eye when I first look at the image?".

If the answer isn't "the subject", I know I have some work to do in post-processing to get the viewer's eyes to the subject. Sometimes that is not possible and that generally means my image does not work.

Without putting words in their mouths, that's where I suspect that James and Grahame are coming from. Looking at your image, I can't quite figure out what the subject is (the leaf?, the branch?). My eyes keep wandering to the light areas and the dark area in the image, so I can't quite figure out what you are trying to show with this image either.

As for PP in an image, I find that most of the images that I produce that are SOOC (Straight Out Of the Camera) are really just snapshots. I virtually always have to do post-processing to turn them into photographs. This is not a new revelation to me; I was doing very much the same thing decades ago working in a wet black & white or colour darkroom.

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Grumpy, okay how you put makes sense to my mind. I needed to find a way to draw the eyes and minds of others to the light are on the branch and the area around it.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    Hi Grumpy, okay how you put makes sense to my mind. I needed to find a way to draw the eyes and minds of others to the light are on the branch and the area around it.
    I think you've got the concept. You need to work the scene with your camera, trying different angles, settings and compositional techniques and then figure out which one works the best. It doesn't cost you anything to take 5 or 10 shots of the same subject. Once you have a camera capture that you are pleased with you can enhance the shot in post.