Thread: Pepper and Window - 2 views

Real Name
    Andrew

Pepper and Window - 2 views

I liked this bit of sculpture combined with the window and wall. C&C always appreciated as this is all about the learning process for me.
    Thanks,
    AndrewPepper and Window - 2 views

I wonder if the building reflected in the window is a distraction?

On this one I thought the branch reflected in the window was unfortunate but I could not avoid it.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Pepper and Window - 2 views

I like the nearly bizarre look of the second one a lot.

Though I might change my mind if I saw it without the leaves being reflected in the window, I think they add a lot to the photo. They are the connection of plant life (or in the case of the bell pepper, recently former plant life) between the subject and the background.

Consider cropping the first one at the top to eliminate the roof of the reflected building and increasing the exposure by 1/3 to 1/2 stop. However, the second one is such a winner for me that I doubt that you could do anything to the first one that would make it as appealing to me as the second one.

Real Name
    Christina

I like these. I prefer the first image (and Mike's crop sounds good). I like the perspective of the 2nd image but the pepper looks better in the first image and the scene of the first image (reflection in the window) holds greater appeal for me.

Real Name
    Andrew

Here is first one cropped and exposure increased 1/3 stop. I think I'm prone to making my images a bit on the dark side, not for any particular reason but just the way I see them. I wonder if monitor calibration plays a role in my perceived brightness of the image?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I definitely like the cropped version better because the window now complements rather than competes with the subject. I also like the increased exposure, at least on my calibrated monitor.

I doubt that your monitor has anything to do with your decisions about brightness, at least insofar as these two images are concerned. Notice that the exposure on the first image is darker than on the second image, which I think is spot on. For whatever reason, it seems that you simply chose a different look for the two images.

Real Name
    Christina

I prefer the lighter exposure, and like both versions cropped and not cropped.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

The second image is standing out.... it has a creative view point

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks to all for the comments!
    It had not occurred to me to crop the first image. As Mike suggests, and I have to agree, the image becomes more singular rather than two competing images.

I was pleased with these images, particularly the second, because I was able to achieve what I had visualized before taking the shots.

Oh yes, I decided I do like the branches reflected in the window of the second image. Again, as Mike suggested, they provide a link of sorts. I feel they also lend a bit to the mildly bizarre ambience I was trying for.

Andrew