Thread: Question

Real Name
    Tawnya

Question

Hi, I'm new on here.. I have a question about my Nikon camera body, and if it could be fixed where I can take it that repairs bodies.
    It wasn't dropped or anything, when I look through the viewfinder everything looks fine but when I take a picture it comes out black...only the top half of the frame is clear. the mirror and everything looks fine. If anyone knows what happened and if it can or can't be fixed please let me know.. Thanks! =)

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Question

So sorry to learn of your issue. I'm not qualified to provide a helpful response but those who are will be able to help you better if you edit your profile to include at least the general area that you live. Once that information is displayed to the left of each post, the responses can be tailored to where you live. Also provide the camera model in a separate post so the responses can be tailored to your particular camera.

You also might want to edit the profile to include at least your first real name if it is different from your screen name.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Not sure where you live, but with digital cameras, sending it to the service department of your local Nikon distributor is likely the only option.

Real Name
    Yau-Man Chan

This exact symptom showed up on my old D60 when I gave it to my daughter and after a week of use it got dropped. Very short distance - it was inside her backpack and the backpack fell off a chair.

What it was is the shutter curtain came out of it's guide and won't slide up all the way. The shutter curtain is a flexible piece of metal. I sent it to the Nikon repair HQ after filling out the form. The repair cost $200 plus shipping. They repaired it by replacing the shutter curtain. Now since you can get a used D60 for just a little bit more from B&H you have to decided if you want to get it fixed. (She did only because it has sentimental value - it was my camera which I passed on to her.)

Start here to get repair information.

Yau-Man

Real Name
    Tawnya

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Not sure where you live, but with digital cameras, sending it to the service department of your local Nikon distributor is likely the only option.
    Thank you! I will update profile, like I said I'm new on here. =) I'm from Pittsburgh, PA
    Thank you for the response. I do have other camera bodies, but that was my first one. I feel like I lost a piece of my heart! lol

Real Name
    Tawnya

Quote Originally Posted by yauman View Post
    This exact symptom showed up on my old D60 when I gave it to my daughter and after a week of use it got dropped. Very short distance - it was inside her backpack and the backpack fell off a chair.

What it was is the shutter curtain came out of it's guide and won't slide up all the way. The shutter curtain is a flexible piece of metal. I sent it to the Nikon repair HQ after filling out the form. The repair cost $200 plus shipping. They repaired it by replacing the shutter curtain. Now since you can get a used D60 for just a little bit more from B&H you have to decided if you want to get it fixed. (She did only because it has sentimental value - it was my camera which I passed on to her.)

Start here to get repair information.

Yau-Man
    Thank you so much!!!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Tawnya,

Welcome to the CIC forums from me.

Can I clarify one thing before you send it off please?

Are you testing by taking flash photo(s), if so it might not be faulty - just inappropriate mode/shutter speed selected.

However, if the test shot(s) were in daylight (and flash not used), it may well be faulty as described by Yau-Man.

It would also help if we knew which model of Nikon camera we are discussing and whether it might be under warranty.

Good luck,

Real Name
    Tawnya

Thank you all for being so hopeful, it was in daylight and flash wasn't used so I think sending it off would be my best choice... but its an outdated model (d3100) just meant a lot to me because it was my first one. So guess I just have to make a decision if its worth it or not. =) Thank you all again!!