Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lightroom 5 Printing - Help Please

Real Name
    Dave

Lightroom 5 Printing - Help Please

Hi,

I have been printing happily from LR4, but now I have upgraded to LR5 I am struggling with paper size. I'm probably being very dim, but here's how it seems.

I am using LR5.2, on a Windows 7 PC and a Canon ip4600 printer. LR is doing the colour management, using custom profiles.

I want to print on 5" by 7". I go to Page Setup and change the size (and paper quality) to 5x7. The writing on the screen now shows:

Page 1 of 1
    Paper 5"x7" 13x18cm
    Printer: Canon inkjet iP4600

So that all seems well.

In the Print Module I am using Single Image, all margins set to zero, Row and Column both 1, and a cell size of 7" high and 5" wide.

However, the image shows a paper background of A4 size, with the 7x5 cell in the middle of it.

If I do try to print, then it seems as if the printer is attempting to print an A4 image on 5x7 paper (i.e. it tries to spread the image across two sheets, replicating what I can see on the screen.

I've tried also setting the paper size using the Printer button at the bottom right, but to no avail.

It seems that LR is convinced that I am using A4 paper, and I can't find where to tell it I am not.

Any help most gratefully received. I'd be tearing my hair out if I had any

Update:
    Beginning to suspect this is a printer driver problem. I am having similar issues with Qimage. It's possible that I have only printed to A4 since I upgraded my computer. Unfortunately, the iP4600 drivers are embedded in the operating system, so I can't re-install them.

Dave
    Last edited by davidedric; 5th October 2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Further information

Real Name
    Hendrik

Re: Lightroom 5 Printing - Help Please

Fair warning, I use LR5.0 a Mac and I have an Epson but I've had sporadic errors of communication between LR5 and the printer which were cleared up after a couple of reboots of both machines. The other item I have noticed is that when changing media size or type, it is more reliable if, having used the Page Setup page tab on the left, you print through the Printer... tab on the right and check all settings. I experienced some difficulties when the settings achieved from the two different tabs didn't match. Yes, they should without our having to intervene - but this may be one bug that got away. 5.2 is waiting to be installed. I want to have the current printing project over before I put myself at risk of several hours of troubleshooting. It hasn't happened yet but, as my dear wife's mother was fond of saying, "You never can tell..." (prounouced Neeeeeeever)

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Lightroom 5 Printing - Help Please

Problem Resolved

A heads up for anyone with a similar printer to mine. Although the printer driver is pre-installed with Windows 7, and so is not available from Canon, there is a Canon Inkjet Printer Driver Add-On Module which can be found on Canon's site after a bit of hunting. That seems to have solved the problem. Hopefully!

So no excuse for buying a new printer

Dave