Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Use of Lightroom with Bitcasa or other online storage

Use of Lightroom with Bitcasa or other online storage

I'd like to hear from anyone who has experimented with using online services as primary storage for images and importing and accessing them with LR. I've experimented a bit with Dropbox and LR seems to treat it as any other attached drive. Bitcasa is a much more affordable solution, but I haven't found out how to have it show up as a destination in the import dialogue. If this could work, I'd back up locally on an external hard drive, but only run the backup drive when I was doing an incremental backup, thus hopefully prolonging the life of the external drive.

Suggestions welcome! Thanks.

Real Name
    Ben

Re: Use of Lightroom with Bitcasa or other online storage

Before using cloud storage as your PRIMARY storage site you might want to read this first:

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2...functionality_

As a backup sure, as a primary never. Just too many places between my desktop and the cloud that things could go wrong. My router may fail and cut me off from the internet, my ISP might have an issue that cuts me off, the cloud storage company could have issues.... or could go bust as one is presently doing.

Real Name
    Dave

I would agree with the other guys. As well as the general possible cloud issues (and I think I would worry some about performance,too), with Lightroom in particular I would be concerned about the Catalogue/Data Base integrity. The cloud provider will make a virtue of your not needing to know where your data is stored (and Bitcasa seems to go a bit further, including encrypting your data), Lightroom certainly does care (hence you only ever move stuff around within Lightroom). The supplier's interface should take care of the logical/physical mapping, but it would make me very nervous.

Dave
    Last edited by davidedric; 4th October 2013 at 10:45 AM.