Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Using rice and removing the battery worked!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Using rice and removing the battery worked!

I was standing on some rocks high above the ocean. Just as my wife and I were about to leave, a rogue wave splashed up from below. Previous to that, there had been no threat whatsoever of anything so slight as a spray of mist. The next thing I knew was that my back was soaked and that the rear panel of camera had salt water all over it. Though that top and rear panel on my D7000 are weather sealed, the Playback and Menu buttons were dead. I also lost control of the single focus point except that, fortunately, the OK button always placed it in the center. All other functions seem to be working fine.

Thanks to a successful suggestion Manfred made a year ago when I was traveling in Iceland, I removed the camera's batter and turned the camera on overnight. I also immersed the camera in a closed pot of rice. For whatever reason, the camera was fully functional the next day.

I'll have the camera cleaned soon to remove all traces of salt that may still be inside the camera. I'm concerned that salt may land on something important months from now and corrode part of the camera.

I wrote this post mostly to remind anyone who has a similar experience that sometimes quick fixes really do work.

Real Name
    John

Re: Using rice and removing the battery worked!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I was standing on some rocks high above the ocean. Just as my wife and I were about to leave, a rogue wave splashed up from below. Previous to that, there had been no threat whatsoever of anything so slight as a spray of mist. The next thing I knew was that my back was soaked and that the rear panel of camera had salt water all over it. Though that top and rear panel on my D7000 are weather sealed, the Playback and Menu buttons were dead. I also lost control of the single focus point except that, fortunately, the OK button always placed it in the center. All other functions seem to be working fine.

Thanks to a successful suggestion Manfred made a year ago when I was traveling in Iceland, I removed the camera's batter and turned the camera on overnight. I also immersed the camera in a closed pot of rice. For whatever reason, the camera was fully functional the next day.

I'll have the camera cleaned soon to remove all traces of salt that may still be inside the camera. I'm concerned that salt may land on something important months from now and corrode part of the camera.

I wrote this post mostly to remind anyone who has a similar experience that sometimes quick fixes really do work.
    Glad things worked out.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Using rice and removing the battery worked!

It's moments like these that ...

... I'm glad I shoot with Canon 1D series cameras