Thread: No Questions - Just a photo for monochrome and old photo aficanados

Real Name
    Christina

No Questions - Just a photo for monochrome and old photo aficanados

I scanned this old family photo from the 1920's because I like it. It is an image of my Grandfather (seated in the middle) and a couple of other gentlemen who were supervising a swim meet photographed in Finland, likely Karelia before it was ceded to the Soviet Union (now Russia)

I think that it is rather curious that they are so dressed up for a sporting event. I don't know who took the photo but I'm certain that if my Grandfather would enjoy knowing that I shared this photo.

No Questions - Just a photo for monochrome and old photo aficanados
    Last edited by Brownbear; 1st October 2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: cleaned photo up

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: No Questions - Just a photo for monochrome and old photo aficanados

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    I scanned this old family photo from the 1920's because I like it.
    The best possible reason for doing it.

It's a lovely picture.

The next skill, Christina, is in re-touching so that you can restore it by getting rid of that crease and knock out the other blemishes. Then it could be as good as new.

Real Name
    David

I agree with Donald its a lovely photo, but I get the impression, falsely, that they are ready for a fight and the two outer men are trying to cool their mate down.
    Great the stories you can imagine from photos.

Real Name
    John

That's interesting Christina. I think I those days everyone dressed up formally if they had an "important" role in a set event. I remember seeing pictures of my grandfather in a suit and tie as one of the judges in a fishing competition. He was keen and I still have some of his medals. In the same spirit, the medals are not like military medals but are designed to hang from the chain of a pocket watch . So if you want display them at the next event, you would have to go suited up I guess. Life changes.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Donald,

Thank you. Yes, indeed I should've fixed it up before posting and I could handle the cracks and blemishes likely fairly well with the skill set I have now but yes, it is yet another thing I need to learn to do well, will do and should do for my family.

David and John... yes, I think old photos are full of stories... I had to email my cousin to find out the story behind this photo. I'm certain that my grandfather would not be impressed by the casual attire worn at sporting events today. John, that is very interesting about medals and pocket watches. Thanks for sharing.