Thread: Oh, I wish I knew where it was!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Oh, I wish I knew where it was!

I'm probably going to bore you to death with scanned slides/transparencies from the dim and distant past (I've just started doing it - See this thread). Please feel free to ignore and pass on to other more interesting threads.

My dilemma with this first one is that I don't know where it is and I really wish I did. In September 1990, whilst travelling in the US, after having worked the summer in Pennsylvania, I rented a car in Salt Lake City. We drove north to Yellowstone National Park and, from there, to Jackson and then back to Salt Lake City. We did it in a loop; i.e. didn't come back the same way as we went. This image was taken in the earlier part of that trip, so I think it's when we were going north towards Yellowstone. I'd love to be able to locate it. Any of you folks got any ideas?

This next one, on the other hand, is very obvious. We walked from downtown San Francisco all the way out to and over the Golden Gate Bridge and then on down to Sausalito. Then got the ferry back in the evening. This was from the roadway down from the bridge to Sausalito.

I held back from putting more contrast in it as this is the memory I have of the city from across the bay.

Hope you enjoy them and any comments are always good to read.

Real Name
    John

Re: Oh, I wish I knew where it was!

Oh I do know what you mean. I sometimes jokingly say I must take a note book with me but actually it's not a bad idea. We travelled across Canada a few years back and on the odd occasion that I want to use an image from that trip, Google Street View invariably saves my bacon. Oh and nice images BTW. Particularly like the first.

Real Name
    J stands for John

On my second trip it was daylight when I went west from Jackson heading for 15 and south to SLC and your shot reminds me of that area ... but there is another route which appeared to go more directly south from Jackson ... supposed according to my informant a better way to go ... but once you get over the mountain range west of Jackson the country is very flat like this ... I left my maps with my son as they might be more useful to him so cannot really check [ I suppose I could go to googlemaps ] Yes I did ... I went west on highway 26 for Idaho Falls while you could have taken 89 into Jackson.
    https://maps.google.co.nz/maps?q=jac...ed=0CDoQ8gEwAA

Your second photo here does strike me as typical of hazy America unless as the other shot across the lake you have the right conditions.There was very serious forest fires and the haze largely spoilt my last trip for landscapes ... have a couple I quite like BUT No wonder polarisers are so popular

I think now I have checked the map your mountains are to the west of Jackson Lake which is in your foreground. It was very still as I drove north to Old Faithful but I felt I didn't have time to stop on my first trip ... just a weekend to drive from Denver to OF and then down to SLC and back to Denver while my DiL was spending time in San Francisco and I had her car for the three days. A worse example than the proverbial American tour of Europe I love American highways. Second trip showing my wife we went south through Mohab to ride Durango and Silverton RR and then across to Pike's Peak for the Cog Railway to 14200ft.before heading back to Denver ... we had eight days that trip I think .. still a lot of fast driving. Did you get to the Mormon place in SLC? Wonderful place not that they will convert me

As I drove at 80mph I wondered at the early horseback settlers covering the place and then when I visited Temple Place and read the plaque about the families that WALKed I was impressed at their commitment ... so many died on the way.
    Should have posted this one in the 'depth' thread. One of the garden areas, an oasis of calm amid the busy city etc etc MFT GH2 14-140 lens.

One of the two young women who 'captured' my wife for a tour around the place takes a photo of her at the feet of Christ with the universe behind ... altogether an impressive place to visit. I have been twice ... first time one of the young women was from NZ and related to Sid Going the All Black .... I didn't tell her I couldn't care less about rugby
    Last edited by jcuknz; 29th September 2013 at 10:31 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    It was very still as I drove north to Old Faithful
    It was sort of obligatory to go and see Old Faithful blowing. What I didn't expect was an arena with seating and a clock counting down to the next expected blow-time and, after Labor Day, hundreds of people in the public viewing area. That being so, I couldn't resist ..................

Waiting for Old Faithful to blow

Real Name
    George Montgomery

Nice stuff, Donald. I live in a pretty boring part of the U.S., so I love to see mountains and stuff.

Real Name
    J stands for John

My waiting shot back in 2010 ...
    I like this not as a photograph but as a comment on photography "Shooting Styles"
    And glad I am left eyed as I have never held a camera like the girl in the white T [insert] but snuggle them into my cheek. The guy with the tripod was shooting a video, a pretty dull one with just a single wide shot . I shot video on my first visit and took a variety of shot sizes.
    Oh, I wish I knew where it was! [2012]
    Out of the Park and heading for our Jackson Hole motel stoped to capture the sun dissapearing behind the mountains.
    Last edited by jcuknz; 30th September 2013 at 07:40 AM.

Real Name
    Dan

That first shot looks like pretty much any state highway in western Montana. The wildlife it nice in Yellowstone but for scenery I much prefer the Grand Tetons. Jackson used to be a nice little town before the Hollywood elite decided that it was on their list of acceptable spots to own vacation homes. Still not a bad spot but much different and a lot more expensive than it was a few years ago.