Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nikon D5000 and lenses

Real Name
    Stuart

Nikon D5000 and lenses

Long before digital cameras were around, I was quite keen on photography. Now after many years of pointing and clicking it's time to get back into it all.

I guess I'll get back into landscapes, flowers, animals and some portraits but can't be certain yet.

After reading lots of posts here (well done - it's excellent), I've pretty well settled on a Nikon D5000 as a good way back in without breaking the bank - too much.

Most offerings seem to include the 18-55mm lens but I reckon I'll find the 18-105mm a better everyday lens to begin with.

So now the questions:

. if I get the 18-105mm, is there any reason why I would want the 18-55mm as well?
    (the way things are priced, the 18-55mm effectively comes for £60 in a package against £160 when bought separately)

. am I right to think the 18-105mm is a good general purpose lens for everyday use?

. what filter(s) should I buy to protect the lens?

. (while my wife isn't looking) what extra value would I get if I found the extra ~£150 for a D90?

Any other suggestions very welcome.

Real Name
    Pops

Re: Nikon D5000 and lenses

I have both the 18-55 and the 55-200 for my Nikon D40. The 55-200 usually stays in the camera bag around town. The 18-55 usually stays in the camera bag when I'm in the field. I have probably shot 10 times the pictures with the 18-55 than with the 55-200. The only way I'd part with either is if somebody handed me the 18-200 to take their place.

I find the 18-55 is the most useful lens for anything but wildlife. I have shot some landscape with the 55-200, but only when the 18-55 won't frame to my liking. The most recent example was a sunset highlighted copse of trees on the horizon several miles away. (It didn't turn out very well, but that was my fault. )

The point I'm trying to make is that they are both useful, when used in their own environment. I would check the quality of the 18-105 and think carefully about selecting, instead, a longer second lens. The extra reach of a 200 or greater lens is something you will sometimes lust after.

Pops

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Stu,

Welcome to the CiC forums.

As you'll probably know, I have the D5000, and I'm happy with it as a camera, it'll last me for years.

The only reason I'd consider the D90 is to give you more verstatility in the lens department, because it has a focus motor in the body. So s/h lens might be viable.

One reason I went for the D5000 is because it has the same sensor and AF system of the D90, so you won't gain there. he other, main reason was the tilty screen, which is good, but the Live View AF is a disappointment, not sure if D90's is any better, but since you may not be able to see the screen it is academic.

There are a few other differences, but I can't remember what they are now.

On the lens front, I went for the 18-200, yes I'd like even longer, but you can't have everything. It's not brilliant IQ, but I love the versatility it gives me; equalling my previous bridge camera's 10x zoom.

I don't know the quality of 18-105 vs 18-55, I'd guess they're about the same, so little point in doubling up - you'll very likely leave the 18-55 at home.

Cheers,

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Stu W View Post
    Most offerings seem to include the 18-55mm lens but I reckon I'll find the 18-105mm a better everyday lens to begin with.

So now the questions:

. if I get the 18-105mm, is there any reason why I would want the 18-55mm as well?
    (the way things are priced, the 18-55mm effectively comes for £60 in a package against £160 when bought separately).
    It would be a waste of money to buy both.

. am I right to think the 18-105mm is a good general purpose lens for everyday use? .
    Yes. It appears you can expect similar build and quality of image from this lens as you could expect from the 18 to 55 kit lens, but you get the extra telephoto length.

. what filter(s) should I buy to protect the lens?

A UV Filter. I use Hoya Pro range just about for all my filters. If you decide to use a Protection Filter, then learn when not to use it too - when shooting street scenes at night to avoid Ghost Images, or inside using available light or shooting into the light, as some examples.

. Any other suggestions very welcome.
    Some reasons to consider other options (two lenses 18 to 55 and 55 to 200):

Filter size - both the same

Weight and bulk - if most of the shoots will be 18 to 55 makes for a smaller camera

Some reasons to consider expanding your "one lens fits all" thinking and get the 18 to 200:

Longer on the telephoto - 105 to 200 range would be useful for outdoor sports and similar.

On the D90 (and I do not use Nikon) my main comment would be what Dave has already mentiond - the motor in the body - more lens selection.

It is difficult to know exactly what your main priority is: but I glean one of the most important factors is versatility – like you want the convenience of a “DSLR P&S” with reasonable quality and no lens changes mainly for shooting in reasonable light or with a Flash.

In this is the case, if you have extra doh, then I suggest putting that money to the 18 to 200 rather than spending the extra money on the more expensive body.

WW

Real Name
    John

Stu,

If you can get the 18-105mm as a kit then do go for it. You'll have almost 6X zoom capability as opposed to only 3X with the 18-55mm lens. Either lens will work for photographing flowers but you'll eventually want a longer zoom for animals.

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    I have both the 18-55 and the 55-200 for my Nikon D40. The 55-200 usually stays in the camera bag around town. The 18-55 usually stays in the camera bag when I'm in the field. I have probably shot 10 times the pictures with the 18-55 than with the 55-200. The only way I'd part with either is if somebody handed me the 18-200 to take their place.

I find the 18-55 is the most useful lens for anything but wildlife. I have shot some landscape with the 55-200, but only when the 18-55 won't frame to my liking. The most recent example was a sunset highlighted copse of trees on the horizon several miles away. (It didn't turn out very well, but that was my fault. )

The point I'm trying to make is that they are both useful, when used in their own environment. I would check the quality of the 18-105 and think carefully about selecting, instead, a longer second lens. The extra reach of a 200 or greater lens is something you will sometimes lust after.

Pops
    I have to agree that there are different lenses for different applications and situations. My wife and I use Nikon gear [D700/D200 & D80] and use Nikkor 17-55mm F2.8; Nikkor 70-200mm F2.8; Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 and a Sigma 10-20mm and a couple of kit lenses.

To be honest the kit lenses don't often get used, they are the older kit lenses and are limited. However there are occasions when I've used the Nikkor 70-200 F2.8 to shoot macro work and for effect I've even used, very close to very fast cars, the Sigma 10-20mm. There is a place for them all.

In my opinion good "glass ware" is always a good investmet. Once you have a camera body that you are happy with I try to invest in good lenses.

Always try to protect your lenses with either a UV filter or a plain / clear filter to protect. We have a story -
    Just shooting a motor sport stage rally event in the middle of Sherwood Forest one June afternoon along a long straight track with a brow. I'd seen the way things were going and I reminded my wife to turn away from the cars as soon as possible after the pan/follow through and to lower the camera/lens swiftly as the cars can flick up large stones which a) hurt a lot and b) damage the camera / break lenses. Ha! a few cars later she got caught by one and it chipped the front element on the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 which cost £70 to replace the front element and clean / check & realign - this also included the carriage. I'n not sure what the repair bill would be for a Nikkor

As William W says you also have to know when NOT to use a filter, too - My wife & I shoot night rallies as well and big lights and filters are a NO NO - it took us a while to figure where the number plates in reverse in a wholly inappropriate part of the image came from .

Rob

Real Name

Forgot to say about filters, sorry, yes get one, agree with everything Rob and Will say about them.

I also use the Hoya Pro-1 Digital, I think they are a good compromise between performance and price.

Cheers,

Hi Stu,

Welcome to CiC. I have a D90 and Dave's assessment of live view autofocus as being much less than ideal also applies to the D90. I personally went for the D90 for the versatility of glass as previously mentioned.

I have the 18-105 kit lens with my D90. For me, I find it to be absolutely brilliant as a general purpose lens. I really don't like to have to change my lens frequently if I'm just out and about doing something like "urban" shooting. Being able to switch from wide architecture shots to the fine details of those same structures is essential in my mind. For that reason alone the 18-105 is a much better option in my opinion.

Good luck with your decision.

Britt

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Cadebou View Post
    ~ I have a D90 and Dave's assessment of live view autofocus as being much less than ideal also applies to the D90. ~
    That's interesting, and a shame.

I feel this is the sort thing Nikon could, if they put they're mind to it, fix in a software update, the fundamental components all exist, all they have to do is get them to work together better, I mean; "how hard can it be?"

Cheers,

Hi,The amount of money tells You what to do(and Your Wife of course!)If the money is not
    a problem look at slrgear.com to inform you about quality before.If the money is a problem You must look there of course
    Success!
    Radu Dinu

Real Name
    Stuart

Many thanks for such prompt and practical responses.

I've opted for the D5000 and 18-55mmm kit lens (couldn't get a deal on the 18-105mm).

I'm off on hols to Australia in Feb so PopsPhotos is right - I will lust after the 200mm. I'll be passing through Hong Kong en route so may pick up something there.

I also see the 55-200mm priced at ~£150 in Oz which sounds a very good deal to me.

Any suggestions about buying in HK (don't!?) or Oz welcome.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I'm off on hols to Australia in Feb so PopsPhotos is right - I will lust after the 200mm. I'll be passing through Hong Kong en route so may pick up something there.

I also see the 55-200mm priced at ~£150 in Oz which sounds a very good deal to me.

AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G lens is AUS$327, today at, Discount Digital Photographics –

By telephone: (02)9929 7578,
    By email: sales@d-d-photographics.com.au
    By fax: (02) 9012 0426.

They have pick up locations in Sydney and Brisbane.

I have no affiliation with this company other than having spent a lot of money with them. Obviously I am an happy customer thus far.

I use Canon Digital gear and I am intimately acquainted with Canon Australia and their Warrantee, Returns and Repairs policies when buying stuff overseas and locally through grey market distributors (i.e. product sourced direct from overseas market and not through Canon Australia)

I do not know the rules for Nikon UK, especially about buying things when one is overseas etc.

For example, regarding Canon, for an Australian Resident, different rules apply to Cameras; Flashes and Lenses. As I mentioned, I have no Idea about Nikon, but you should know these details as they pertain to a UK based owner.

I have not bought any Camera gear in Hong Kong since the handover.

Just a thought about your holiday, if you have not done it before with a digital camera – ensure you have plenty of media, or a facility to transfer and store image files.

Good luck with it, enjoy Aus.

WW

Real Name

Hi Stu,

Nikon UK website says non-European warranty products are undertaken on a chargeable repair basis.

No surprises there then!

So you'll have to factor in the return rate (i.e. your chances of needing a repair) on their lenses, and see whether the risk is acceptable for the saving.

Also, I'm not sure where you stand on VAT when you "import" it to UK.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Stuart

Thanks guys.

The price maintenance (aka warranty) rules don't surprise me so maybe I'll wait until I'm back home again. But there's all that fantastic landscape and wildlife in Aus....

The one that caught my eye was Ted's Cameras web site which priced the 55-200mm at $250. Maybe they're grey imports or maybe I'm not looking at the right lens.

Have you any info on them William?

Stu

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Thanks guys.

The price maintenance (aka warranty) rules don't surprise me so maybe I'll wait until I'm back home again. But there's all that fantastic landscape and wildlife in Aus....

The one that caught my eye was Ted's Cameras web site which priced the 55-200mm at $250. Maybe they're grey imports or maybe I'm not looking at the right lens.

Have you any info on them William?

Stu
    Ted's have Retail store locations too. I have bought from their Sydney Store (Sydney City) and I found good service and keen pricing. They have been in business for many years. I would buy from Ted’s again

I don't know what variants of the 55 to 300 Nikon lens there are, that's why I gave a full description.

The price difference does not surprise me on that particular lens.

Some reasons are:

A year ago I bought a Canon EF-S 55 to 200 from a Suburban Store for a lot less than the DDP price (which generally is pretty keen).

I think you will find that resellers rebates apply and quantity buys of the more popular lenses are common. The 55 to 200 is the most logical and common budget choice as a second lens for those folk who buy an APS-C camera and the 18 to 55 as a kit. If I were selling cameras as a kit with the 18 to 55, regularly I would want several 55 to 200 lenses at hand to up-sell at the point of sale. I would want filters and sensor cleaning kits too . . .Ted's staff are generally good sales people, one must assume that their website sales draw on the same stick holding, and so I expect Ted's have quite a few 55 to 200 lenses on their inventory at any one time. January is noted for "Clearance Sales", in Sydney.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 12th January 2010 at 07:20 PM.

Real Name
    Stuart

Many thanks William.

I'll see what Ted and others have to offer when I reach Sydney in Feb.

Stuart