Thread: Birds... A Few From This Week

Real Name
    Joe

Birds... A Few From This Week

It has been raining here this week, so I only got out Tuesday for a couple of hours. I had read a report saying that there was a pair of Shelducks at a local lake, in between rain showers I managed to get these images. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Common Shelduck... these birds are not suppose to be in North American let alone Florida. I do not know how they got here or where they came from but very unusual to see them. They are normally across the pond in Europe and Asia.

Comorant

Mottled Ducks

Mute Swans

Great Egret

Geese... they remind me of an Afgan Hound and a Dalmatian

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: Birds... A Few From This Week

They are normally across the pond in Europe and Asia.
    Merely another assumption that life is better in North America.

You might be able to bring out more texture in those white birds by dropping highlights a little.
    Regardless...they all are nice shots.

Real Name
    Bruce

Joe, very nice images.

Bruce

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Joe,

Thank you for sharing an abundance of beautiful images... My favourites are the first two ducks and those funny looking geese-ducks which I've never seen before (they sure are cute), and the swans... Obviously I am having a hard time picking a favourite, so maybe the geese.

Nice Cormorant... And I hope you post more of these for me to see as figuring out their colour and the correct exposure is proving to be a challenge for me. Sometimes they look jet black, but their wings can look brownish/golden depending on the light, and the rest of their bodies are quite black, except when they are in the water I can see some green in their necks... Do you agree?

Thank you.

Christina

Real Name
    Dave

Shelduck AfterIt Had Ducked Under Water.

Real Name
    Christina

Re: Shelduck AfterIt Had Ducked Under Water.

Hi Joe,

I'm bumping this as I don't think enough people have seen this beautiful set, and also because I am hopeful that you will answer my question about the correct colour for Cormorants.

Thank you.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: Shelduck AfterIt Had Ducked Under Water.

Kinda depends on the lighting

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Merely another assumption that life is better in North America.

You might be able to bring out more texture in those white birds by dropping highlights a little.
    Regardless...they all are nice shots.
    Thanks Chauncey, normally I would agree with your comment but today I am not so sure. I saw your motorized tripod, very interesting. I agree with dropping the highlights to show more detail, with the bright light in Florida that is always a battle especially white.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Joe, very nice images.

Bruce
    Hello Bruce, thank you for viewing and commenting. Very much appreciated.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Hi Joe,

Thank you for sharing an abundance of beautiful images... My favourites are the first two ducks and those funny looking geese-ducks which I've never seen before (they sure are cute), and the swans... Obviously I am having a hard time picking a favourite, so maybe the geese.

Nice Cormorant... And I hope you post more of these for me to see as figuring out their colour and the correct exposure is proving to be a challenge for me. Sometimes they look jet black, but their wings can look brownish/golden depending on the light, and the rest of their bodies are quite black, except when they are in the water I can see some green in their necks... Do you agree?

Thank you.

Christina
    Hello Christina, I am a little slow on responding... getting busy here. I just found out in conversation with another photographer yesterday that those funny geese/ducks are Indian Running Ducks. Regarding the colors of a Commorant, Chauncey is correct... it depends on the light and how it is reflected off the feathers. I never try to change the color. I just go with what the camera has captured. If it looks too cool when I have used the Adjustment Brush on just the bird to apply clarity and exposure I may warm the temperature a bit.

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    Hello Christina, I am a little slow on responding... getting busy here. I just found out in conversation with another photographer yesterday that those funny geese/ducks are Indian Running Ducks. Regarding the colors of a Commorant, Chauncey is correct... it depends on the light and how it is reflected off the feathers. I never try to change the color. I just go with what the camera has captured. If it looks too cool when I have used the Adjustment Brush on just the bird to apply clarity and exposure I may warm the temperature a bit.

Real Name
    George Montgomery

Wayward birds! One of the ways that oceanic islands may have acquired bird species.
    A nice series of my favorite creatures, Joe. You've captured feature details very nicely.

Here's a cormorant in Forsythe Nat'l Wildlife Refuge, NJ. Kind of funny how their bodies ride so low in the water.
    cormorant(maybe)_DSC4554_edited-1 by gmontjr, on Flickr