Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New Toys

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

New Toys

Having fallen foul of the weight restrictions on budget airlines recently, forcing me to leave my photographic kit at home, I decided to purchase a lightweight set up (thank you Mr Taxman for the rebate!!).
    I'm now the proud owner of a D3200, 35mm f1.8G and joy of joys a Voigtlander 20mm f3.5. OK so the latter is manual focus only on the D3200 but despite my poor eyesight where's the problem? Set it to about 8' at f8 and its in focus from about 3' to infinity. Now that's fast autofocus!!
    Results so far are very satisfying. Just need to book another trip abroad to justify the purchase.

Real Name
    John

Re: New Toys

Are you talking about weight restrictions for your carryon bag? I can usually fight two camera bodies and three lenses with room for a laptop.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

We have an airline called Ryanair which limits hand luggage to 11kg and strict size limits. This has to contain all other bags, camera bags, handbags, airport shopping etc. My D2X weighs getting on for 1.5Kg without lenses and leaves precious little room for other personal effects, hence my move for something smaller and lighter.

Real Name
    Kathy

Hmm. My Panasonic G3 + 5 lenses is 2 lbs/<1 kg and all fits in a Retrospective 5 with room to spare. Just saying if you wanted small and light there were other options smaller and lighter where you could get a pancake lens that autofocuses. Not as responsive or F-mount, admittedly. But mirrorless kinda rocks for travel.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Hmm. My Panasonic G3 + 5 lenses is 2 lbs/<1 kg and all fits in a Retrospective 5 with room to spare. Just saying if you wanted small and light there were other options smaller and lighter where you could get a pancake lens that autofocuses. Not as responsive or F-mount, admittedly. But mirrorless kinda rocks for travel.
    I agree and might have been tempted if it were not for a bag full of Nikon stuff that all fits the D3200 even if not all autofocuses. I'm not sure I can get a decent mirrorless camera for £279 either, which is what I paid for the D3200.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    ... I'm not sure I can get a decent mirrorless camera for £279 either, which is what I paid for the D3200.
    Depends on your definition of "decent", but... I own a G3, and you could get one kitted for £219.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Depends on your definition of "decent", but... I own a G3, and you could get one kitted for £219.
    New?
    The existing investment in Nikon glass and accessories was the overriding factor Kathy.

Real Name
    J stands for John

And at the start of this thread I though you had forsaken your beloved G3 Clactonian is probably pre-occupied with those APS-C mirrorless and yet to taste the delights of MFT

Real Name
    Kathy

New?
    No, not new. But if we're talking body only rather than a kit, you then go below £200.

The existing investment in Nikon glass and accessories was the overriding factor Kathy.
    Yes. I do understand this would be the main reason to stick with an F-mount camera. But the thing is--this is your go-light gear. Are you really going to bring the rest of that Nikon glass and accessories along with you on the road when you're weight/bulk limited already? And once you get back from travel, how often are you going to be integrating the D3200 into the rest of your system, when you have the much more capable camera bodies around?

It's not like you didn't do the additional spend on the glass for your go-light travel camera, too.

OTOH, I'm a woman with tiny hands who suffers from RSI. I'm ok with very small/light plastic bodies and lenses. And as a hobbyist shooter the less-than-sterling handling of the cheaper mirrorless cameras doesn't often get in my way. YMMV.

Real Name
    Pete

We have an airline called Ryanair which limits hand luggage to 11kg and strict size limits. This has to contain all other bags, camera bags, handbags, airport shopping etc. My D2X weighs getting on for 1.5Kg without lenses and leaves precious little room for other personal effects, hence my move for something smaller and lighter.
    Clactonian - Ryanair has a 10kg limit! You probably know this and its a typo but just in case ..... ye gods that thye'd refuse to take a camera bag!!

I've moved to m4/3 (mainly due to an uneconomic repair) and I can easily stick a couple of cameras and 6 lenses into a domke f3 along with chargers book batteries etc etc and be under the limit.

the 35 f1.8 is a cracking little lens. I bet you'd love Nikon to introduce something like the fuji 18 f2! I know I did when I was a nikon shooter.
    Last edited by thequacksoflife; 27th September 2013 at 10:20 AM.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

.... how often are you going to be integrating the D3200 into the rest of your system, when you have the much more capable camera bodies around?
    It's not like you didn't do the additional spend on the glass for your go-light travel camera, too.
    OTOH, I'm a woman with tiny hands who suffers from RSI. I'm ok with very small/light plastic bodies and lenses. And as a hobbyist shooter the less-than-sterling handling of the cheaper mirrorless cameras doesn't often get in my way. YMMV.
    The answer to your question Kathy is 'surprisingly often'. The image quality of the D3200 is top notch with decent lenses (24Mps don't take prisoners) and the high ISO performance is light years ahead of my other kit. Yes it is definitely a consumer build quality and there are few external controls but it is amazing how quickly one becomes used to and adept at slipping into the 'recent settings' menu to change the odd item.
    As regards your last point, I'm sadly a very big chap with large hands and having spent hours in the store trying out various cameras, including mirrorless, I concluded that the D3200 was as small as I could usefully manage.
    Mind you my photographic skills would probably be tested by a Box Brownie so no point in wasting money that can otherwise be spent on decent Burgundy!!

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by thequacksoflife View Post
    Clactonian - Ryanair has a 10kg limit! ........ I bet you'd love Nikon to introduce something like the fuji 18 f2! I know I did when I was a nikon shooter.
    Yes a generous 10Kg it is, and I saw the check in clerks weighing cabin luggage.
    18mm f2 .. oh yes please. I do love my primes.

Real Name
    Pete

Yes a generous 10Kg it is, and I saw the check in clerks weighing cabin luggage.
    18mm f2 .. oh yes please. I do love my primes.
    its odd I've never had them weigh my bag and I've seen some obviously oversized bags allowed on. Easyjet on the other hand...... I guess the trick is make it look light.

Real Name
    Lex

Quote Originally Posted by thequacksoflife View Post
    its odd I've never had them weigh my bag and I've seen some obviously oversized bags allowed on. Easyjet on the other hand...... I guess the trick is make it look light.
    My record came from a recent SCUBA trip. I had a massive, bulky, US Divers bag with my wet suits, fins, wing... All the light stuff. Total weight: 42lb.

My carry-on, though small, was filled with lenses, batteries, my nearly-solid brass regulators, and my stainless steel back plate. Total weight: 63lb.

Delta didn't ask to weigh it. But combined with my 264lb self, I was a 369lb load.