Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lightroom and RAW file processing (Canon CRW/CR2)

Real Name
    Gary

Lightroom and RAW file processing (Canon CRW/CR2)

I have been using Lightroom 3.6 to import and process my RAW files into DNG format. The files have been from a Canon G2 with a format of CRW. When these have been imported settings for Brightness/Contrast/Blacks have been 0. The Tone curve has been Linear. Sharpness 0 and Noise reduction setting 0.

At the moment I have on very temporary loan a Canon 30D this outputs in CR2 format. However when I import these files(RAW) into Lightroom Brightness is set to +50, Contrast to +25, Blacks to +5, Tone Curve to medium, sharpness to +25 and the colour noise reduction to 25.

I have not changed anything in Lightroom with regards to preferences.

I was wondering if anyone can throw some light on why this is happening with the CR2 files?

Gary
    Last edited by oldgreygary; 23rd September 2013 at 06:55 AM.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: Lightroom and RAW file processing (Canon CRW/CR2)

When you click on the camera profile in the develop module, does it recognize it as being a canon 30D?

Real Name
    Gary

Hello Chauncey,

Under 'Camera Calibration' there is an option called 'Profile'. This has options like 'Adobe Standard', 'Camera Standard' no specific reference to 30D. There is an option on the menu selection called 'Develop' if on click on one of the options called 'Set Default settings' it brings up another window which amngst other things in the middle it says 'Model Canon 30D'. So, I guess from that it is recognising the camera ok? I did look around for further information and it seems as though Lightroom uses the aforementioned 'Adobe Standard' as a default for importing images and the defaults which are being loaded come from there? Maybe the CRW files were not recognised by this and that is why they never had any defaults applied?

Gary

Real Name
    Remco

Or do those settings for the 30D correspond to camera settings as stored in the image metadata (Canon RAW files have a EXIF Makerdata field 'camerasettings', among a lot of others)?

Real Name
    Gary

Further research and I found this link: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2...a-defaults.htm which seems to offer an explanation and possible solution.

Cheers for now

Gary