Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you can't be with the one you love - then love the one you're with ...

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

If you can't be with the one you love - then love the one you're with ...

I didn't have my preferred camera and lens cache with me in the car tonight as I drove past this scene, so I had to make do with the old 1Ds3 & a TS-E 90mm F2.8 lens.

Hope someone enjoys (supplied in 1600px "help yourself" size).

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: If you can't be with the one you love - then love the one you're with ...

Colin...your old Ds3 is what I still use. What replacement did you go with?
    'Tis a good picture except for the noise, I'm an anti-noise type person.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Excellent work

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

i love this image, even though i dont tend to like noise in the best of times, but there is some rare moments where i do, and this is one of them, i believe it adds to the photo. Was the noise intentional, or just unavoidable?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Beauty. The small lights at each end book-end it beautifully, contributing to a wonderfully balanced picture.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Great shot Colin

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Remco

And everyone knows that the 1Ds3 is an inferior camera, barely good enough for a beginner...

Nice image, btw.

Real Name
    Arlen

A very compelling image. Well seen and well captured.

(I assume the "noise" was an artistic choice, and it works well here.)

Real Name
    Christina

Your night landscapes are always incredible. I like how you captured the detail in clouds and whatever that water feature is on the right hand side.

I think I would like this more in colour because of all the reflections you capture so beautifully in all of your night-scapes, but then it wouldn't fit the title, Nuclear Winter .

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Colin...your old Ds3 is what I still use. What replacement did you go with?
    'Tis a good picture except for the noise, I'm an anti-noise type person.
    Hi ya,

I upgraded to the 1D X when it came out -- unfortunately, it was in my other kit which was at home at the time I drove past this scene.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Excellent work
    Thanks Nandakumar. Much appreciated.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by allenlennon View Post
    i love this image, even though i dont tend to like noise in the best of times, but there is some rare moments where i do, and this is one of them, i believe it adds to the photo. Was the noise intentional, or just unavoidable?
    Thanks Allen,

The noise is from how I've done the sharpening; I could have rolled it back over those areas, but I wanted to do other things to "push" the image towards extreme contrasts on a number of levels, and that was one of them.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Beauty. The small lights at each end book-end it beautifully, contributing to a wonderfully balanced picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Great shot Colin

Cheers:

Allan
    Thanks Donald and Allan.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by revi View Post
    And everyone knows that the 1Ds3 is an inferior camera, barely good enough for a beginner...

Nice image, btw.
    Thanks Remco,

It's my "in case of emergency" camera these days!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
    A very compelling image. Well seen and well captured.

(I assume the "noise" was an artistic choice, and it works well here.)
    Hi Arlen,

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes - the noise came from the aggressive sharpening I applied.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Your night landscapes are always incredible. I like how you captured the detail in clouds and whatever that water feature is on the right hand side.

I think I would like this more in colour because of all the reflections you capture so beautifully in all of your night-scapes, but then it wouldn't fit the title, Nuclear Winter .
    Thanks Christina,

The "feature" you're referring to is probably the MDF plant, where they discharge condensate in the manufacture of MDF board (I call it "the cloud factory").

Colour was the original plan, but is didn't work too well because the huge WB differential gave a very warm scene on the right and a very cool one on the left, and it just didn't look right.

Real Name
    Robin

I am a motorsport fan - so I am off to car racing tomorrow, but right now I am away to Google "noise".

Tomorrow I will hear it, love it and understand it, tonight reading these posts I don't have a clue!~!

Real Name
    Greg

Well, as someone said, the best camera is the one you have with you. Lucky you had one with you to catch this scene, Colin. It is an intriguing image: it has a strange kind of symmetry. The reflection on the water reminds me of a bar chart, and the lightened clouds above are oddly reminiscent of a Rorshach blot.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    I am a motorsport fan - so I am off to car racing tomorrow, but right now I am away to Google "noise".
    It's the stuff that comes out of car exhausts that makes your ears hurt

Tomorrow I will hear it, love it and understand it, tonight reading these posts I don't have a clue!~!
    Don't forget Formula 1 on Sky TV - Midnight Sunday our time.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Well, as someone said, the best camera is the one you have with you. Lucky you had one with you to catch this scene, Colin. It is an intriguing image: it has a strange kind of symmetry. The reflection on the water reminds me of a bar chart, and the lightened clouds above are oddly reminiscent of a Rorshach blot.
    Thanks Greg,

The "bars" are quite a common occurrence around here. They remind me of a barcode ... in fact I even made an image of that title some years ago ...

The top half looked quite lovely as I drove buy, with the condensate blending into a low altitude inversion, but unfortunately, that didn't show too well from the position I had to photograph it from (setting up a tripod on the motorway probably wouldn't have been my smartest move of the week!).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast