Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sensor Cleaning Fluid

Real Name
    Grahame

Sensor Cleaning Fluid

I have a couple of spots on my sensor that can not be removed by brushing or blowing so the only options I now have are to undertake a wet clean or leave them as is.

It is not possible to purchase any of the brand sensor cleaning kits/fluids here in Fiji and there are no camera stores/repairers. I can purchase from abroad which I have just done but the sender in the UK is concerned that the fluid bottle is marked 'flammable' so things are on hold whilst I look at other options.

Does anyone know of and have experience of a fluid that may be available through a chemist/medical supplier as something I could investigate being available here?

The option of sending the camera away for service is not one I would consider due to the time, postage risks here and the fact that I can live with the problem.

Grahame

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Sensor Cleaning Fluid

The last time I wet cleaned a sensor, I used plain old isopropyl alcohol. It seems to have worked.

Real Name
    Kathy

Have you considered a dry cleaning method instead? Lenspen and Dust-Aid? No volatile liquids needed. The Lenspen, btw, is rumored to be what Canon service uses to clean sensors.

Real Name
    Grahame

Thanks Manfred,

I will start making enquiries with the chemists tomorrow.

Real Name
    Grahame

Hi Kathy,

I have been successfully dry cleaning the sensor for a number of years using both a blower, Rocket and a Lenspen set.

The two spots I have remaining have been there for some time and will not budge with dry cleaning and I do not want to start using more pressure and rubbing than I have been to date.

Grahame

When looking for isopropyl alcohol (it's sometimes called isopropanol), be sure it's 99 percent pure.

I was able to find some at a regular drug store a few years ago.

Do you have swabs? The correct kind look like a small paddle, are made from a soft absorbent cloth, and don't make any lint.

They may be harder to obtain than iso.

I've read that many people use Lens Pens, etc., but I'm quite reluctant to do this as they tend to be used and re-used, thereby increasing the chance of picking up grit and scratching the sensor surface.

Glenn

Real Name
    Grahame

Hi Glen,

Thanks for the info, I'll ensure I source 99% pure.

I purchased a 'Digipad' sensor cleaning kit that comes with the swabs/paddles and cleaning fluid which is with my father back in the UK. It was my father, 86 years old and still helping me out, that was concerned about the 'flammable' aspect and I do not want to worry him. I'll get him now to send just the pads plus my recently ordered diopter correction lens for the camera.

Before using the lenspen I have always made sure I give the sensor a good blow, light brush and then use the rocket to vacuum out the area and have no problems to date but agree re-using the lens pens can be a risk.

Grahame

Real Name
    Grahame

Having undertaken further investigation on the web of the use of isopropanol / isopropyl alcohol for sensor cleaning there appears a general consensus that this can be used.

I did however come across information, supported in more than one place, that it's use on a specific Canon model sensor within a certain serial number range damaged the filter coating.

There is a good article by Thom Hogan regarding sensor cleaning and interestingly he quotes within it that Methanol is used if dry cleaning and the use of Eclipse fluid has been unsuccessful at removing stubborn spots

Grahame

Real Name
    Dariusz Kowalczyk

Are you not afraid to clean sensor yourself with solvents ? I do it using only a HUGE pear enema. But recently it seems to be insufficient really.
    Last edited by darekk; 20th September 2013 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Having undertaken further investigation on the web of the use of isopropanol / isopropyl alcohol for sensor cleaning there appears a general consensus that this can be used.

I did however come across information, supported in more than one place, that it's use on a specific Canon model sensor within a certain serial number range damaged the filter coating.

There is a good article by Thom Hogan regarding sensor cleaning and interestingly he quotes within it that Methanol is used if dry cleaning and the use of Eclipse fluid has been unsuccessful at removing stubborn spots

Grahame
    1) It's been known for some time (six years at least for me) that iso is one of the ingredients in the commercial fluids.

2) The model was discussed at length on POTN - it's the 5D classic, and some sensors were damaged and were replaced by the fluid manufacturer (as I recall).

3) Methanol has also been suggested on at least one other forum.

Glenn