Thread: I've got the DT's

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I've got the DT's

It's like this...I'm sitting here shaking like a hyperactive squirrel on methamphetamines. Why you ask...it's because I sent my camera in for service and I've got the DT's, (camera withdrawal).

Anyway, while it's gone I'm gonna upgrade my PP software from CS6, I've only used the Photoshop portion, to...Adobe CC something.
    I do a lot of heavy duty photo manipulation, photo artistry...no graphics, typeface, design work, or video stuff.
    I can get the entire Adobe CC package, educational version for $20/month or go with that new LR/Photoshop package for $10/month.

Does anyone here use more than Photoshop...what do you use it for? What should I go with?

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: I've got the DT's

Hey, Chauncey

We may all get forced into the cloud, like it or not, and the LR/PS combo really does work and makes a lot of sense. Since I started using LR about 2 years ago, I've gradually increased my used of LR (as they've expanded its capabilities) to doing about 85% and my pp'ing. No way not to use PS (for layers and pixel work), but LR is really fast, capable and incredibly easy to learn.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Hi Chauncy - I use a number of Adobe products - Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, InDesign, etc. so the full-blown suite is something that I do use. I do shoot a fair bit of video, so the video tools get used when I get into that mode. I have not done any web design work, but their Muse product looks quite interesting.

A few additional benefits of CC are that you get a Behance account (I haven't taken advantage of that yet) as part of the package, as well as some Cloud storage and access to Adobe's Typekit fonts.

While I still don't like the subscription model, there are enough sweeteners in it that were stand-alone extras in the purchase model.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Manfred...you got a link that can briefly explain what all those things do?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Manfred...you got a link that can briefly explain what all those things do?
    Check the Adobe website - https://www.adobe.com/ca/products/cr...-services.html

These are generally graphics products, rather than photo products.

Illustrator - Vector Graphics (drawing)
    Premiere Pro - Video Editor
    After Effects - Video Compositing
    Audition - Sound / music editing
    InDesign - Publication (print and electronic).

etc....

Real Name
    Richard

I was lucky enough to get the last packaged CS6 programs which were offered n sale (here in the USA at least) through several photo retailers at a reasonable price. I really don't use Lightroom (although I have a version). Most of my photo file keeping is done through Adobe Bridge.

However, I have recently purchased the NIK Software Suite which has been offered at a greatly reduced price since the NIK Company was purchased by Google.

I have fallen in love with the capabilities of the various NIK Plug-Ins and really like how they interface with Photoshop. I probably now do 90-95% of my post processing with the various NIK Plug-Ins and really enjoy them!

Real Name
    Lex

I'm probably making the CC switch once I get my new laptop up and running. Photoshop and Bridge are my main tools at the moment, but the more I use Bridge, the less I like it. Looking forward to the Lightroom 5.2 switch with CC.

I use vector graphics programs occasionally (Illustrator CS or CorelDraw X5), but only for very basic stuff. Old versions are fine for me, so I don't think I'll shell out the extra $10/month for the full suite. Not yet, anyway. Increasing my video workload may prompt me to try After Effects or Premier Pro, but for now, I'm still exploring Photoshop's video tools.

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Ditto what Richard says.

I do use the subscription option, and it has been trouble free. I also have the Nik suite, Alien Skin and various texture add-ins. I do not find myself wishing for much more - for now.

Marie

Real Name
    wm c boyer

When you use any of those plug-ins...do ya start with one of the samples or start from scratch, having an end game already formed in your mind?