Thread: Correct usage of newly calibrated monitor profile

Correct usage of newly calibrated monitor profile

Good day.

I have purchased Dell3014 and X-Rite i1 Pro and calibrated the monitor using Dell calibration solution.
    It produced a new color profile based on AdobeRGB.

The resulting profile was saved in 2 places:

1) In a file available for OS and software
    2) In the INTERNAL monitor's profiles set, and I made this profile to be used as a defult, via monitor's menu.

The question is next - if unput images come in AdobeRGB, should I select that new AdobeRGB-based profile, OR I sould select STANDARD AdobeRGB profile in:
    1) Windows OS settings for the monitor
    2) Software tools for images processing

I'm asking because I suspect that new profile, residing in the monitor, already applies color tranformations.
    So selecting the same profile in all image processing tools and OS, in addition to monitor,
    may result in several turns of transformations intead of one transformation.

Thank you in advance,
    Andrey

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Correct usage of newly calibrated monitor profile

Hi Andrey - Welcome to CiC - You are confusing two totally different, yet related issues.

1. The monitor profile that you just generated is totally specific to your monitor and will ensure that it displays the colours correctly, no more and no less. Use this as the default for your monitor and Windows will automatically load it (if you have set it as your default). If you are using a colour managed workflow, this means your prints will be the same colour as what you see on your monitor (but you may have to adjust the brightness).

2. For image processing, you are telling the computer which colour space to use when displaying your images and this is independent of the monitor profile. Embedding this profile in the image will tell colour managed software how to properly display your image; sRGB, AdobeRGB and ProPhoto RGB are the common colour spaces used. I tend to default to ProPhoto for the work I do as it has the widest gamut, but will downsample to sRGB for commercial printers or images that are to be displayed on the web, to ensure proper colour reproduction. A ProPhoto RGB image will look "muddy" on a web page if this is not done.

Hi Manfred, thank you for you answers.

As I understand, i should use standard color profiles in image processing tools.

Remaining questions is regarding the monitor and Windows driver's color profiles.
    Calibrator has set new profile into monitor's LUT, and now this profile is used by monitor's hardware as a default.

But Windows driver still uses an initial profile that was shipped with monitor's drivers.
    Should i switch Windows driver's color profile to newly calibrated one, in addition to same profile actual on monitor?
    Will overall system perform color transformation 2 times as a result?

If i did not have hardware calibration possibility, the answer would be simple - just set new profile as default for Windows monitor driver. But now i can set it in two places - on monitor and for its driver, and cannot find any information is it is right in manuals.

Thank you,
    Andrey

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Andrey - all the profiling operation has done is to produce one that lets you display colours on your monitor correctly. As long as that happens, leave everything else as it is.

When I turn my computer on, it comes up with some default that is loaded with the OS startup, but at some point this is overwritten (i.e. replaced) with the proper profile that I created with my i1 profiling tool. If I watch the screen I can see when this occurs. There can only be a single profile running at any one time per monitor (I run a two monitor setup, each one has its own custom profile); the two colour corrections that you are asking about simply do not happen.

So software looks smart enough. I'll test it- create a wrong dark profile and apply it on monitor and driver, and on monitor only- and compare.