Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: NYC - Bridge in the distance

Real Name
    Murat Batmaz

NYC - Bridge in the distance

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: NYC - Bridge in the distance

Who doesn't like bridges?

The very first instant that I saw your photo I was reminded of the far right photo in this series. You might want to read the text of that web page to get ideas about other compositions worth considering for your scene.

Off Topic:
    For those who take the time to review the text of that web page, there is an interesting follow-up to that image. Kertesz was showing his portfolio of photos to a curator in New York City and the curator suddenly stopped when he or she got to this particular photo. As it turns out, the man carrying the art work in the photograph happened to be the curator's uncle.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Compared your other images, i am not much pleased for two reasons: Too busy ( may be i am a bit claustrophobic ) further it looks a bit over done
    With due respects
    Regards

Real Name
    Paul

Personally I don't think it's overdone, given the hard lines and the harsh cityscape I think the treatment is appropriate. I do agree that it's a bit busy though, I keep getting drawn out of the image by the Sovereign bank and its equivalent on the other side of the image when I think I should be getting drawn in to the image. To my mind a vertical crop cutting out the Sovereign bank and the same ammount on the other side of the image looks much stronger to me. Like the textures and tones in this very much though.

Real Name
    John

Very nice perspective and patterns.

Real Name
    Kevin

Murat, I find the composition and processing extremely compelling, but I think the bank building has got to go. It's out of context with regard to texture, geometry and time. I think it's a great picture once cropped. I really like the liberal use of high structure for this context.