Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Using Nikkor AF 70-300 lens with Nikon D60

Using Nikkor AF 70-300 lens with Nikon D60

Some advice please for a digital newbie. I am unable to make the rangefinder work correctly with the above combo although it works fine with a AF-S 18-55 VR lens. I get the analog display in the viewfinder but cannot get the display that means "Subject inside the selected focal point is in focus". Instead, I get the image that says "Focus error. Unable to focus".

Will much appreciate advice.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Re: Using Nikkor AF 70-300 lens with Nikon D60

Hello Mate,

A bit more info on the lens would be good, for instance I use a Nikon D80 with an AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 G. If this is the same lens then I've got a mate who has got a D60 and I'll "experiment" with the combo on your behalf.

Mark

Thanks again Mark! Yup, it is a "G" lens. The full specs are: AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G. I Do really appreciate your offer to experiment with the lens on a D60. Looking forward to your inputs.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Hey Buddy,

Well my mate was out so I've looked on the Nikon (Europe) website went to support, typed in D60 blah, blah and got directed to download a lens compatability chart and it turns out that the AF feature of said lens is not supported. I would suggest that you (and any other new camera owner) also get the chart as there are quite alot of popular lenses which also don't seem to have this function supported (This also includes the D40 & D40x) which I find really suprising. Anyway this is the address and best of luck mate.

Mark

http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/c...i=&p_topview=1

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

P.S I'm still gonna have a go with my mate's D60

Mark
    Last edited by The Blue Boy; 4th August 2008 at 09:36 PM.

Thanks a bundle Mark!
    let's hope that your experiments with your mate's D60
    give us some insight. In the meanwhile, I shall parctice
    focussing with the viewfinder image.

Jayant

If your 70-300 is not an "AF-S" lens, then it will not auto-focus on the D60, or D40. These cameras do not have a focus motor in the camera, but rely on the motor built into the lens. All of the new Nikon lenses are AF-S, including an upgrade to the 70-300. The new 70-300 is AF-S and VR. In the US, it costs around $500.

dpc

Hi guys..

I'm a beginner in photography and very poor about lens.

How about 70-300mm AF G? Is it also not compatible for D60?

I have a Nikon D60 as well. The Nikon AF-S 70-300 will autofocus with the D60. AF only lenses however will have to be manual focus. Ever thought about trying out the AF-S 35mm f1.8? I really like that lens. You can read my review on it at: http://www.shutteria.com/2009/09/nikon-35mm-lens.html