Thread: Article on creating a signature look.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Article on creating a signature look.

I found it interesting and so thought I would share.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/education...m_campaign=edu

I especially like the development of the processing of the image, from original to end result.

Graham

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Article on creating a signature look.

A signature look I think should just arise as a result of pursuing a particular style or interest once you have matured as a photographer. A contrived signature look may well be a cover for a limited skill set.

Real Name
    Remco

Interesting (though a bit short), especially seeing the flow from 'raw' output to final image.

Though I don't really buy into this 'create your own style' thing: I know a lot of the top photographers have their own style.
    What I'm less sure about is that they set out to find a distinctive style. My feeling is more that their style developed from their
    way of working and their aesthetic preferences. (they might have reinforced the distinctive traits of their style in a conscious way,
    but that only after the basics were in place). So 'creating your own style' might easily end up as just being a 'trick'/'marketing gimmick'.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Nice work flow.

As long as they don't force us to believe in them, live and let live.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I might submit that "developing your own style" is oftentimes a never-ending circle of numerous similar subjects>followed by numerous compliments from your peers/clients>learning about improving your initial subject images>more compliments>....
    My own BIF images developed the same way...there's a slew of those birds in our area>after I published a series of 10 GBH BIF, I was goaded by my peers to continue with the concept of merging these BIF images into one large picture>technique improvement>...
    Now, for me, the easiest route to ego gratification lies with those graceful flights across the ponds.

A contrived signature look may well be a cover for a limited skill set.
    Completely agree with LPaul...being good at one style does tend to limit personal growth.