Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon "Dust Delete Data"?

Real Name
    Dave

Canon "Dust Delete Data"?

Hi,

I was just browsing my 600D menus, and came across "obtain dust delete data", which I confess I hadn't seen or used before. The manual explains that data is then attached to each image (JPEG or RAW) that Digital Photo Professional (Canon's included image management software, which I have never used) can utilise to eliminate dust spots in software that sensor cleaning has missed.

Has anyone any experience of using this tool?

Thanks,

Dave

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: Canon "Dust Delete Data"?

I don't use DPP as he same thing is available in LR.

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Canon "Dust Delete Data"?

I don't use DPP as he same thing is available in LR.
    Thanks, Chauncey, I too use Lightroom, but this seems a bit different.

What you do is to take a photo of a piece of plain white paper or card, and declare this to be your "dust delete image". Then, when you shoot your real images you use the option to append the "dust delete data", which adds it as some kind of side car file to the JPEG or RAW image. The, in DPP, you can subtract the dust from your photos. The downside is that you can only retain the dust deletion by exporting as a TIFF or JPEG (not as RAW, I think for obvious reasons).

I can only imagine using this in emergencies, and the experiment that I should do, but haven't, is how Lightroom will cope with the RAW file with the "dust delete data" attached. In other words, could I just shoot this way, and then us it as a "get out of jail free" card if I suddenly found I had a dust problem.

Was just wondering if anyone had use it in anger.

Dave