Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Unusually wild for me...

Real Name
    Richard

Unusually wild for me...

I consider myself something of a straight laced conservative photographer. But, every once in a while, I go off the deep end like in this image of a Chinese dragon dance with smoke from firecrackers in the background. I tried to portray a sense of motion with the extra grainy processing and over saturated colors. I don't know whether this works or not...

Unusually wild for me...

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Unusually wild for me...

Well Richard, I think if you can hold someones attention with a photograph for a period of time regardless of whether you think you are conservative or not, it's job well done
    I like it
    I didn't get a sense of motion with the image maybe because the subject is tightly cropped with no empty space to move into but I certainly love the saturated colours and grain.
    A very interesting image.
    Cheers, Greg

Real Name
    John

Now I know what a splash of colour looks like. It's what might be described as "a bit sudden" Richard but interesting. Is the grain processed or as a result of a scanned slide and cropping?

Real Name
    Richard

This was a reject image from a Chinese New Year Parade shoot in Los Angeles, California. I didn't like the shot at all so I never did anything with it but rather let it sit in its RAW file form.

I watched a YouTube video on my NIK Software Suite, increased grain filter within Color Efex Pro and looked through my reject images for a possible candidate for the increased grain effect. I also over saturated the colors purposefully. Although there was some firecracker smoke in the background, there were also parts of people visible. I used the Photoshop Clone Stamp filter at 100% to reproduce the look of the smoky sidewalk with firecracker remnants in front of the dragon to the rear over the visible people.

I "MAY" have played with some other NIK filters also but, I don't remember...