Thread: Portrait Help Needed

Real Name
    Mark

Portrait Help Needed

Recently had a go at getting back into photography, I started out last year as a total beginner and did a beginner's course at college. Was all going well along with some much appreciated and valuable advice from the site users here. Then circumstances beyond my control turned my life upside down and the whole thing died a death. Still a total beginner for all intents and purposes and would appreciate any C&C's on my latest foray into portraiture.[IMG]Portrait Help Needed[/IMG]

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Portrait Help Needed

Was this photo lit with one light source to camera left?
    Also, the eyes of your subject do not look right IMHO.

Bruce

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Mark,

Not to shabby, you should feel proud of yourself. The skin tone is important but then again if somebody spends a lot of time in the sun or had a few drinks the skin tone is a bit red.

A good portrait with good lighting. Well done, keep doing it.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Hi Mark,

Overall , a good portrait.

The lighting is spot on. Lighting guides say this is short-lite. The side of the face on the opposite side of the cam gets the main light. Supposed to give drama, especially for men, by emphasizing the creases , wrinkles of the skin. The background is ok.

Just a couple of observations. Perhaps, you can position the hands farther away from the camera to avoid it looking larger than the subjects face. Maybe , under his chin, facing sidewards towards the cam. Or don't include it. Then, have him face a little towards the cam. Just enough to show some skin outline on the right side of his face. Get his nose in. i.e. not jutting out beyond his right cheek. Probably lessening the eye-whites too.

Well, perhaps we can wait for more comments from the gurus.

Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Peter Phun

Hi Mark,
    May I ask what focal length lens you used for this?

If you have a longer lens, I would try to use it simply because it allows you get close without distorting the nearest part of his face which is usually the nose.

Most non full frame DSLRs set at 50mm work well for portraits because with the 1.6x magnification factor, that lens is now an 80mm. If you have a chance try shooting the same picture using a 100mm and compare the two. I'm confident you'll like how his nose will look.

A very good attempt

Great work its looks good keep it up,you made some good work in making your photo great

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Yes...I agree with all the comments above. It is nearly a good shot. Keep practicing and coming here for critiques and comments. I am sure many members can help you improve some more.

Real Name
    John

Nicely done.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

A very nice start. I find the ear that has been cut off and the lighter areas of the background a bit distracting. The colours on the screen I am viewing tend to show a bit cool, so I can't comment on that.

I might be tempted to try cropping more along these lines:

Portrait Help Needed

Something else you might want to do during the post is to have your subject look straight ahead so that the eyes are a bit more centred. That often gives you a stronger looking image.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Mark. I like Manfred's crop. The colour of the skin is a bit too red but there are people with this kind of skins anyway

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Mark,

I feel the need to ask if this is a self portrait?

If so, being model and photographer (simultaneously) makes it VERY difficult to address some of the issues raised, even though I don't disagree with them.

Even if it isn't a "selfie", it is still a good job - better than I would manage.

HTH,