Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rug Pond in the fall

Rug Pond in the fall

While enjoying the wonderful colors of the pond, and the surrounding area with my family, I was greeted by a flock of Trumpeter Swan. There is an area at the pond that is lower than the water level, so getting low to the water line is pretty easy assuming you do not scare the birds off. This helped me get some nice shots.
    The photos are taken with a point shoot Canon SX120IS.

Rug Pond in the fall

Rug Pond in the fall

Rug Pond in the fall

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Re: Rug Pond in the fall

Hi Medfly (whatever that means).

The tree colors are really pretty and make these images.

In the top image, I would like to either see the bird's tail feathers or crop some off the left so I can not see as much. The way it is, I want to see the tail. Also, the bird could be a bit sharper. Some detail is missing from the feathers.

In the bottom image, I would crop off the top just to the point where the light sky does not show on the right side. That area tends to pull the eye away from the birds. I like that you caught the reflection of the birds in the water. Again the birds could be a bit sharper. Overall though, a nice image.

Ken,
    Thanks for the comments. I agree that the birds could be sharper, however I find this point shoot camera does have some problems with sharpness if I'm not mindful, and I was not using a tripod.
    This fall I will be using my D50, and hope that I will be able to get similar shots, but cleaner. While I like these photos, I find they seem to be a little muddy. I never noticed this before until I got the D50.
    The problem with cropping the top photo was not my cropping, but my photo skill. I had to crop out the right side of the photo, not the left. I just missed the bird’s tail. Probably due to the swan moving towards me.

BTW, Medfly was a nick name given to me years ago when I was landscaping. It's a combination of my last name, and the fact that I apparently used to bug this guy I worked with like a bothersome fly. Sometimes stuff just sticks, and it never goes away.
    Last edited by Medfly; 1st September 2013 at 06:31 PM.

Ken,
    I re-read your post. I can not sharpen the swan, but I did try to re-crop the swan. I took more off from the left, and a touch from the bottom. Do you think this is more appealing than the previous attempt?

My only problem with this is the red reflection in the water seems to pull my eye.

Rug Pond in the fall
    Last edited by Medfly; 2nd September 2013 at 02:30 AM.

Real Name
    Greg

I like the 3rd one, Med. I don't see foliage like that around here and I find it quite captivating. However, a shot just of the pretty leaves probably would not be especially interesting. But I like the way you have set this up with the trees providing an backdrop to the main subject, the swans. Well done.

Footloose, Thanks. The fall is very nice around here in Southeast Michigan, still I have to travel 475km to get this type of shot. I would like to have mountains in the back ground, but lakes and colorful tree lines will have to do. I still have a lot to learn. At best, I feel like a blind squirrel looking for a nut.
    So far I've learned that my composition is ok, and that how I present the composition needs to be worked on. Not just with these shots, but with many of my other shots. It's always the little stuff, like not cutting off the subject unless it detracts from the subject. Point at hand, the Swan's tail feathers. In another post, the same was said about a car photo. I detracted from the photo by slightly missing a body part. Personally, I'm drawn to horizontal lines, and then the horizon is not level, or very close, the photo looses interest. Once I start to understand where I and going wrong, I will once again be subject to personal preference.

Re: Rugg Pond in the fall

For any that care, It's Rugg Pond. Just noticed the misspelling.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Medfly View Post
    I can not sharpen the swan, but I did try to re-crop the swan. I took more off from the left, and a touch from the bottom. Do you think this is more appealing than the previous attempt?
    Yes, to me it looks much better. Yes the red tugs at the eye, but still a better image.

Ken,
    Thanks for the help. After cropping the photo, I felt that it popped a bit more. I've had to look at it, put it away, and look at it again. I really like how it came out.
    I looked at your web site. You sir have nice work. I really like your winter work. It draws me in. I too like working in the winter. Nothing pleases me more than putting on the snow shoes and walking about in the woods. I was not able to do this last winter, but with the new camera, I will be heading north when the snow flies. I'm thinking Lake Michigan shore line near Empire, Mi. This is a nice area in the summer, but I'm betting winter B&W's of the waves breaking, and snowy light houses may prove to be fun.

Real Name
    J stands for John

It can be useful to arrange the camera so it is under-exposing by one stop which would help to avoid burning out the white feathers in the top photo where with so much dark toneing in the frame it will tend to over expose something like a white bird.
    Judging from the other shots I think the bird could well be quite a bit darker but you seem to have lost the feather detail.

If you do 'just clip' the part of something and cannot re-create it one should crop well along the back, except that puts the neck and head central so a smaller crop turns it into a 'portrait' which looks appropriate for the long neck on the right third.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

I looked at your web site. You sir have nice work. I really like your winter work.
    Thank you. You are very kind. I keep working to improve because photography is so rewarding.

I was not able to do this last winter, but with the new camera, I will be heading north when the snow flies. I'm thinking Lake Michigan shore line near Empire, Mi. This is a nice area in the summer, but I'm betting winter B&W's of the waves breaking, and snowy light houses may prove to be fun.
    Snow is amazing in that it changes how everything appears, and mundane objects become fascinating when snow covered. Good luck with the shooting. Keep your batteries warm!